I went to the drags, how do i over come axle tramp? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2004, 07:01   #1 (permalink)

I went to the drags, how do i over come axle tramp?

Hi there guys i took my XB down the strip last night and the poor girl suffered from axle tramp and each time it did it, i clenched my teeth, it was pretty bad, what do i do to overcome this? It is currently running standard springs with 2 inch lowering blocks and i have brand new heavy duty shocks all round. I plan to put a big hp motor in it and don't want this occurring, any help would be appreciated. It currently has 17 inch low profile tyres on it. Thanks in advance, Mark :)
V8_GRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2004, 19:35   #2 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

Re: I went to the drags, how do i over come axle tramp?

dunno dude what I do now is i take off slower lol then I nail it :) but I don't go to the drags

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 06:42   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

You have two things you can try. I currently has 7 springs in the rear of mine. Although the spring are old it doesn't tramp. So in the least your up for a set of superlow leaf springs. The lowering blocks cause more problems than they fix. Currently spending my way out of uni failures due to lowering blocks etc. Around $400 gets out of trouble.

After you've done the leaf springs do a search for Caltracs if you plan to get real serious. They'll stop it without failure. Downfall is you don't get much change from $1000. I am purchasing a set myself when the credit card allows. They are basically a 2 link suspension coversion. It bolts up so it can be removed if needed.

Brenden
Old 12-31-2004, 11:02   #4 (permalink)

Yep, 6 or 7 heavy duty stiff leaf springs should help heaps.............they're quite resistant to winding up.

So what did the old girl pull down the 1/4?

In the mean time I would be avoiding intentional tramping..........can damage your rear end.

You may be able to pick up a set of cheap universal tramp rods/slapper bars. They bolt up in 5 minutes and minimise the axle rotating.
Old 12-31-2004, 17:15   #5 (permalink)

thanks for your input guys thats fantastic, the thing is my car is sitting absolutely perfect at the moment i love the way it sits, if i get my lowering blocks removed and get the springs reset, can the spring people stuff up my ride height or can they get it pretty spot on? I think i am going to have to remove the lowering blocks.

Yes i am serious and i think i will get some caltracs, i just don't want to take any chances.

TrueBlue, i am not going to lie, i am currently running a completely standard 73" 351 C which has never been rebuilt in it's whole life, burns a bit of oil, has a 600 holley standard 4brl manifold, 4 into 1 pacemakers and a twin 3 inch system with X pipe mandrel bent under the diff (ready for my new donk) a toploader and a 3.5 geared 9 inch. It ran the best on wed night of 15.7 @ 89.5 mph, i know it's not that good,(the engine internals are completely stock) i probably could have got a 15.5 but i only did 1 good run, the other two i stuffed up. I am going to start building my new engine in two weeks which its slowest time will hopefully be in the 12's :)

Thanks for your help guys, looks like i will have to save some dollars for this rear end!!! Thank god i am tradesman at the end of the month!!!! :)
V8_GRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 18:30   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

With the 2" lowering blocks your height is classified superlow. So if you get the springs reset and refitted? the company should be able to get it perfectly the same. The best part about not using lowing blocks is the diff is lowered and it gives you more room for the exhaust system to be run.

You can buy brand new leafspriings in superlow height (same height as you are at now).

Brenden
Old 01-01-2005, 02:09   #7 (permalink)

You have to start somewhere V8_Grunt!!

Regardless of what times your're pulling, it's the fun of getting out there and doing it.

Can't expect too much from the old stock donk
Old 01-01-2005, 21:08   #8 (permalink)

Just get your springs reset ($300) and fit a set of XB GT tramp rods as they mount over your diff and held bu U bolts ($120 from wreckers). This setup works a treat on my Hardtop as it just squats and goes.
BAWITHLOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 02:56   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Love to know where you can get XB tramp rods for $120 last set I tried to get sold for $205 and needed new bushes. They are a rare item.

Brenden
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline