Ideas for a 5 or 6 spd in an XB - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 07:43   #1 (permalink)

Ideas for a 5 or 6 spd in an XB

Heya, I'm looking for ideas and suggestions on what manual box I should put behind my stroked 351C. A quick search of these forums gave me this link (Malwood) which is a good start, but I was also wondering what experience other people had.

I'd like something I can go cruising in and not have the car at 2.5K in top gear on the freeway. I figured I'd go a 5 spd or even a 6 spd so that I can have a higher ratio diff and still get away with some kind of fuel economy (current diff is standard, which I believe is 2.90 or there-abouts).

In the XD I've got a standard T5, but that tired 351 only has 200-odd hp (and even then this is my second T5). They seem nice because the modifications to get them fitted to the standard clevo bellhousing are relatively simple.

Thanks,
-Steven

Note: As for the figures the engine has, I don't know yet. I told the mechanic I liked torque and he suggested a stroker kit, saying it'd be a few months. I told him if it was going to be a few months, then go crazy as I'll have saved up more money by then. His eyes went lit up and so far all I know is it's a 393 stroker. Last time I checked with him he was working out what cam would best suit it (seeing as I wanted a street-able car).
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2005, 00:34   #2 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Re: Ideas for a 5 or 6 spd in an XB

For a 5 speed I'd use a Tremec TKO, its basically a toploader with an extra gear, for a 6 speed i'd use a Tremec T56 as used in SS/XR8. There are lots of different ratio versions to choose from. Highly recommend Mal Woods, they are experts with Tremec boxes.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:23   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, your only REAL and reliable option is a good Tremec. Agree, Mal Wood is the Aust expert and knows everything to help you out. As you know, a T5 behind a stroker will explode.

Here's the Tremec website to have a browse.

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...cts/tremec.asp

Just to bring you up to speed..............

The original "Tremec" 5spd gearbox refers to the TR-3550. Thats a "junior" verson of its big brother, the TKO. The differences being tougher internals and bigger input/output shafts etc to handle more TQ/HP. The "old" TKO has just recently been replaced by the TKO 500 and TKO 600. These are beefed up versions again, capable of handling 500 and 600 ft/lbs of tq respectively.

You get a 0.68 5th! I run 4.11's and enjoy getting off the mark and highway cruising. Running a toploader was a PAIN.

The 6spd T56 runs 2 overdrives. Different versions available, but still capable of handling good power.

Call Mal for some quotes and see what he recommends. I love my TKO

EDIT: The TKO will EAT a toploader....heaps stronger.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:18   #4 (permalink)
old B - new B

thats interesting.

i have never really checked into the tremec boxs

do they use the same fit up as toploader? - clutch/ bellhousing/ tailshaft.
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:23   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351cid
thats interesting.

i have never really checked into the tremec boxs

do they use the same fit up as toploader? - clutch/ bellhousing/ tailshaft.
Unfortunately there are a few changes required if replacing a toploader.

The TKO input shaft is about 1/4" longer. 3 options here.....

1. Dellows Automotive make a custom alloy bellhousing for $450.

2. Castlemain Rodshop makes a spacer that goes between toploader bellhousing and gearbox $250.

3. Mal Wood can mahine down the input shaft so you can use original bellhousing. Mal recommends this option. Tremec talk about warranty issues with this, but if you buy from Mal, he'll give you a warranty, so no worries.

I went #1 but had major front uni rattle issues. I though it was the bellhousing so went to option #3. Problem still there (bellhousing was fine)!! Finally found the issue was caused by a high angle between the gearbox and driveline (about 5*). Where the cross member bolts to a TKO, those tabs are 1" higher on the extension housing which makes the bos sit lower. A $5 homemade spacer and it was fixed. My car is lowered 2" which makes driveline angles worse.

Other issues:

The TKO has a 26 spline input shaft so you'll need a new clutch disc (toploader = 10 spline).

Output shaft is 31 spline. My box came with a 1350 yoke so you may have issues getting unis to match. Mal helped me out here....told me to turn my tail shaft around backwards and then he told me what size unis to get. There are "stepdown" ones available which have 2 different size uni caps.

My driveshaft ended up being about 1 1/2" too short. I just got a whole new one made up.

The Ford speedo senders fit, just need a Tremec cog to fit on.
Old 08-24-2005, 15:53   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, looks like I should start asking Mal some questions.

Trublu, your info says you're also in Vic, whereas Mal Wood seems to be in QLD. Was there much hassle ordering/shipping the parts down here?

-Steven
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:12   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles
Thanks for the info, looks like I should start asking Mal some questions.

Trublu, your info says you're also in Vic, whereas Mal Wood seems to be in QLD. Was there much hassle ordering/shipping the parts down here?

-Steven
I actually bought the TKO when I was in the US a few years ago and fitted it just over a year ago. Good deal, US$1350 including shifter and yoke. So thats AU$1780'ish. OVer hear a TKO could set you back $3500-4000. Would it cost $2000 to ship it to Oz and pay import tax? I think not! So I saved quite a bit of $$. The only issue to worry about is continued warranty and how to ship back to the US. See what Mal quotes you, but sometimes a little peace of mind knowing you have a "local" Australian insurer is better.

I was in Perth when I fitted the box. After those rattling noises (due to high fron angle uni) I pulled the box out. No one could tell me what was causing so I did the safe thing and got the brand new box stripped down - bunch of absolute amateurs. Everything looked AOK? Hmmm? So whilst it was stripped I sent the input shaft to Mal for machining which was $150 including postage so I could fit my toploader bellhousing due to my alloy one being just out of alignment (dial gauge showed concentricity and parallelism was out, ~ 0.022 thou. Max should be 5 thou). But after putting it all back in the damn noise was still there. I'd spent an extra $600 now and was majorly ticked off. Anyway, my exhaust guy just commented, "hey you have a big angle at your front uni". Legend, and my $5 spacer fixed everything.

Forgive my winge

Mal is great to chat to. Always patient and freely gives you all the info you need. Not sure of your location, but shipping/ordering would be a very small issue. I'm sure he'd provide great back up service.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:40   #8 (permalink)

go the 6 speed tremac!!!!!!!!!!
RAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:35   #9 (permalink)
old B - new B

thanks for that TruBlu

be a while before i can think of upgrading but its good to know what the options are .
the lod toploader will have to hang in there for a while yet.
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline