Ford Forums banner

Input shaft compatibilities

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MADXF 
#1 ·
I've got 2 single rail gearboxes here, one (from XE) has a few missing needle bearings from the layshaft along with other problems, and the other (From XF, and currently in use in the car) has a stuffed input shaft bearing, but the rest is ok.

While I'm looking/saving for a T5, I'm wondering I if I can just swap the input shaft from the XE box into the XF box, as the input bearing in the XE box is good, cause I'm worried about the box in the car, it doesnt sound like it will last too long.

I dont have access to a press, and really dont feel like paying to get something fixed that may only be around for a week or two. But if it comes to it I guess I may have to.

Thanks far any help
Paul

#2 ·
I've had a look through the manuals i've got around here and I can't find any differences in part numbers, descriptions, etc for XE to XF.

I suppose the best way to check is just measure them both, if they are exactly the same size then you should be fine!

Cheers,
Greg

#3 ·
I've since found out the hard way.... The ratio on the input shaft is different between the 2. I ende up just using the nedle bearings from the XF box to replace the stuffed ones in the XE box. it'll do in the meantime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.