I've done something bad to my transmission, need help :( - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2003, 04:01   #1 (permalink)
Sideways..

I've done something bad to my transmission, need help :(

Hey guys. On a car cruise today I decided to put it in neutral while we were stopped, and when I went to take off, forgot it was in neutral and put my foot down and revved the engine heaps ... and then fkn stupid me put it into drive a bit to early... while the rpm was dropping but still pretty high.
Well at that point i heard a nice CRUNCH sound.. Noooooooooo

(its a stock 3 speed auto borg warner tranny by the way)

I tried to take off in Drive and all that was happening was the engine revving and a whirring/slipping sound coming from under the car.. the car wasnt moving at all. Even when im off the accelerator and its in Drive the car would normally just creep forward at idle speed, but now it just stays still and makes that sound. Even putting the selector into the 2 position from Drive didnt make any difference either.

The only way to make the car move is to put it into the 1 position and then it finally jumps into first gear and takes off.
Then when im driving in first and push it into 2, it goes out of gear (or slips or whatever its does) for about 1-2 seconds and then finally goes into second gear and gets moving again. Pushing it into Drive from 2 seems puts it into 3rd gear as normal without any abnormalities.

Also If i slow down to a stop at the lights for example and its still in the Drive position, when I go to take off again I have to push it back into 1 again for it to get first gear.

I noticed this morning on the way to work that if I put it into Drive from neutral it seems like its engaging a gear cos the car jolts a little bit, but it just makes that whirring sound and doesnt move. I have to push it into 1 and then it jolts again as it goes into first.

Park, Reverse and Neutral all select properly still.

Any ideas as to whats broken or stripped or worn out as a result of my stupidity?

Also if its totally buggered, and if I'll have to replace the tranny, is it a lot of stuffing around to slap in say a 5 speed manual in its place? I enjoy driving manual and would prefer it, especially if it will improve response and the overall speed of the car in drags..etc :)

Thanks guys.

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.

Last edited by XF Falcon; 11-09-2003 at 16:37.
XF Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2003, 04:08   #2 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Re: I've done something bad to my transmission, need help :(

no idea but you should be able to get a second hand box from a wreckers for like $100, i wouldnt bother getting yours rebuilt unless you want a tougher one.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 04:51   #3 (permalink)
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo

XF Falcon, to me it sounds like u fkd your tranny, i done the same thing, coming home from a cruise taking of from a set of lights and the auto was slipping and grinding its way through the gears, it also sounded like it had a 4000rpm stall converter, take your car to any trans shop and get em to test drive it and see what they say.
Old 11-09-2003, 15:23   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XF Falcon
Hey guys. On a car cruise today I decided to put it in neutral while we were stopped, and when I went to take off, forgot it was in neutral and put my foot down and revved the engine heaps ... and then fkn stupid me put it into drive a bit to early... while the rpm was dropping but still pretty high.
Well at that point i heard a nice CRUNCH sound.. Noooooooooo
hahahhaha im sure it was an "accident"
OverDose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 16:34   #5 (permalink)
Sideways..

hahaha, cmon man have some faith in the old girl. She doesnt need to be slammed into drive just to do a burnout :)

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
Old 11-09-2003, 21:00   #6 (permalink)
Not a Twink

Sounds like you killed the tranny mate. Similier thing happened in my FE LTD.

Good news is you can pick up a exchange box for about $300
honer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 21:11   #7 (permalink)

you might wanna change her to a manual while your at it
OverDose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 21:28   #8 (permalink)
another XF driver

yeah, it doesn't sound too good. i got mine converted to a 4 speed man for $600, including parts and labour. a 5 speed would cost a bit more. go the manual, it is just heaps more fun. plus its quicker, it's a win-win situation

Currently missing a set of splits and my gear knob as some bastard stole them! Damn thieves!

See My Car Here
CHONXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 22:06   #9 (permalink)
Sideways..

Does anyone know a good place in Perth then that would do a 5 speed manual conversion? Either me sourcing out the parts myself and them fitting it all, or them providing the parts and fitting.

I'd try it myself but havent done anything to that scale yet and dont want to fk it up. Its my only everyday car and the longer im without it the more hastle it is.

Old 11-10-2003, 01:12   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

I know this post wont help but someone on here should be able to tell you (us) what has actually happened. If its just the stall convertor then it would be cheaper to fix than getting a whole new trans. I bet the excuse to change to 5 speed is tempting but i think you should wait until you actually know what has happened.

I want a 4 speed toploaded myself with renagade shifter!

Pete
fordmuscle_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline