Ford Forums banner

leak from transmission?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  derb 
#1 ·
theres a patch forming under where i park my car at the moment, but its not under the engine. its down the length of the car more under where i assume the transmission is. im pretty sure the liquid isnt oil as it doesnt smell, isnt slick and doesnt have that rainbowy sheen. its and auto transmission and the car is an ED XR6. could it just be something like the plug seal is gone on the trans fluid resorvoir?

P.S. i only got the car about 6 days ago so im quite the massive noob about anthing.

#2 ·
Derb,

Is it definitely oil? If not, could be just condensation draining from the air con and heater box which is normal. If it is clear and evaporates from the drive during the day, this is probably the case. If it is green, it is coolant - could be from a heater hose or head gasket.

Otherwise, get a sheet of white butchers paper under the car, weight down corners and leave overnight. If it's tranny fluid it will be red. Gold/brown (or blackish if it's dirty) would be engine oil. Engine oil right back at the tranny could be either from the rocker cover seal up top (not too bad = fairly cheap fix) or the rear main seal around the crank (bad = expensive).

Use degreaser to clean around the suspect areas to check for leaks. A mirror-on-a-stick and torch are very useful for looking behind the block and head.

Good luck!

#3 ·
thanks for that, but the leak seems to have stopped after i moved out of our steep driveway. theres also no patches at work where i park. i might do the paper thing and put it in the driveway to check again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.