Lost Reverse, pulls forward in Neutral, no 1 or 2 only D - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 19:58   #1 (permalink)

Lost Reverse, pulls forward in Neutral, no 1 or 2 only D

97 Aerostar,V6 has no reverse. Has only Park and Drive, no neutral. Also lever does not want to reach #1 or 2 position. Linkage seems off the pointer/selector. When I go to Neutral or Reverse the van pulls forward. Help! I made a video of it:

Humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 03:02   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Lost Reverse, pulls forward in Neutral, no 1 or 2 only D

Check this , especially first section , might help.

How do you change 1997 Aerostar shifter cable?

Answer:

The steering column must be dropped to replace the gear shift tube. In my case, a torx bolt fell off at the base of my gear tube and caused the gear shift to miss reverse, neutral, and drive. Four nuts with built-in washers, two and two, hold the majority of the weight of the steering column.

To get to the steering column, the upper and lower shroud behind the steering wheel will need to be removed, as well as the lower cover piece underneath the steering wheel, followed by the metal plate. The small support behind the metal plate will have to be lowered on the side by the hood release to allow for the steering column to drop to a level to work on the shifter tube. Note: Don't forget about detaching the small wire connected to the small ball-shaped metal part to the right of the steering column that is encased in black plastic. The encased metal wire shows what gear the van is in. You have to unscrew the black plastic nut between the white plastic part. Take your time as the plastic threaded piece is very brittle and will snap easily.

Aside from the battery, I did not disconnect any electrical connections. Be very careful not to cause the weight of the steering column to dislodge or damage the many electrical connections underneath the column. If the problem cannot be identified or remedied at this point, then the airbag, the steering wheel, and the gear shift have to be removed to fix it.

Note: the metal clamps holding the gear tube in place are very brittle. Make sure they line up and are not overtorqued, or risk breakage. I broke two of them because of an issue with the alignment of the gear tube and the actual gear shift mechanism that moves the gears around. I did resort to using 2 sections (3 inches in length, overlapped for strength) of SS hose clamp as an upgrade on the metal clamp design for the lower fastener. I cut out 2 slits in the SS hose clamps with metal snips to allow the Torx bolts to slide through the hole and fasten into the steering column. Thanks to whoever came up with this idea on the Internet.

Through a simple Internet search, you can purchase the gear tube ($30.00) and the gear tube clamps ($7.00 per clamp, but prepare for possible failure).

And this ,

"Shift System Adjustment, Ranger, Explorer and Aerostar

1. Place transmission shift select lever in the OD position.

2. Hang a three-pound weight on the end of the shift select lever.

3. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.

4. Release lock tab on the top side of the cable by pushing down on the two tangs.

5. Disconnect the shift cable from the transmission lever.

6. Shift the transmission into overdrive. On Ranger and Explorer vehicles, move the transmission lever all the way rearward (counterclockwise) and then forward three detent positions. On Aerostar vehicles, move the transmission lever all the way forward (counterclockwise) and then rearward three detent positions.

7. Reattach shift cable to transmission lever.

8. Completely push down the lock tab on the shift cable, making sure it fully engages, locking cable in place.

9. Make sure shift cable is clipped to floorpan.

10. Lower vehicle down from hoist.

11. Adjust shift indicator pointer while transmission is still in the OD position.

12. Remove the weight and check for proper engagement of all gears, including park "
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 16:31   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. The cable works fine that I can see. I pulled it off at the callum and worked the shift lever and it went into all gears. than I pulled and pushed on the cable and found the linkage lever at the trany won't move into 1 & 2 positions. I do see 2 adjustment screws/boldts with nuts, I suspect these are for band adjustments... would it do any good to tweek on these? Thanks
Old 01-28-2012, 04:41   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Wouldn't touch or think the brake band adjustment would cure the fault to be honest .Seems more like linkage problem .
Old 01-28-2012, 19:19   #5 (permalink)

So... you think the 2 different external adjustment nuts are for the break? Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 12:55   #6 (permalink)

Ok , the linkage mounting bracket on the trany was bent. After looking at it for a while I just bent the cable holding bracket a bit and bingo...back in action. Thanks for being there.
Old 02-03-2012, 14:10   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

Thanks for update .Glad it was a simple fix with linkage and your back on the road again .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline