Ford Forums banner

LSD good or bad?

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  EFFalcon 
#1 ·
ive been looking for a 3.45 lsd diff to go into my ef i6 but it'll cost a small fortune, however i can get the 3.45 put into my car for 450 with 3 year warrenty inc labor and all spedo gears...
now some poeple how been telling me that the lsd diff puts more strain on your gearbox and other driveline components... so is there any particular reason to get lsd and if soo is it worth the extra $500? btw its just a daily driver car too

Thanks
Kurt

#3 ·
personally i would never have a rearwheel driven car again without an LSD diff. Apart from the fact that they are heaps of fun, 3.45's would be really easy to ark up and be a one wheel hero. Stuff being in the wet, and if you need to get anywhere in a hurry. I spose it bad enough anyways, but go the LSD :thup:

Most diffs with high ratios are LSD's, but thats from my shithouse knowledge

#8 ·
LSD was by far the best mod I've done. Sooooo much more traction. Not to mention fun in the wet!

#10 ·
LSD wont put any real extra strain on the driveline and gearbox unless you are going to go trying or intending to pull burn outs at every opportunity, but even an open diff will strain things in that case, the LSD will be more than worth it in the long run, you wont regret spending the extra money, well thats my opinion.

#11 ·
ok well to be honost i dont have the money for the lsd atm anyways, so im going to get the 3.45 ss put in. I will proabaly want lsd later anyways is it a big job to just put the lsd in later? or am i going about it all the wrong way

#18 ·
best looking for a wreck with a lsd and buy it for @ 500, lsd usually make u drive slower in the wet unless u like 4 wheel steering, LOL doesnt put any more strain on box, just on the wallet when u have two bald rear tyres instead of one bald drivers side tyre

#20 ·
dodge said:
best looking for a wreck with a lsd and buy it for @ 500, lsd usually make u drive slower in the wet unless u like 4 wheel steering, LOL doesnt put any more strain on box, just on the wallet when u have two bald rear tyres instead of one bald drivers side tyre

yea but if i do happen to find one from a wreck in perth... it proabaly in shitty condition then i gotta spend the money reconditioning and fitting it...

#22 ·
ive got a 3.08 lsd in a eb falcon and it handles shit loads better then single wheeler, saved money on tyres too, as its lot harder 2 smoke em so i dont bother do burnouts much more. had close calls in wet though lsd likes to keep spinnig around if u plant it around a corner, just need to handle steering better. opt 4 a higher ratio 3.7 or 3.9 2 give u more take off as if were manual, i regret keeping my crappy ratio

#23 ·
i've got a 3.45 LSD in my car, made a hell of a different from the 3.08 SS, deffinately a worth while mod and you're prolly best to do it all at once, i imagine doing it in 2 steps could cost a small fortune :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.