LSD or not?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2003, 22:47   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

LSD or not??

this is pretty weird, and i dont know whats goin on!
ok.... on wet roads, i can get both wheels to bag up (stand still) and on the move, and on dirt i can get both wheels to go. on dry bitumen, it wont light up both wheels on a stand still, only the one.
this would surely have to be telling me that its an open wheeler?

also, im thinking of going 3:45 gears and a new LSD. better bottom end pick up with 345 gears i would think?
and would this change my rpm much?
Hot Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2003, 22:56   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Lie down and read the diff tag, that should tell you whats installed, most of the time.

By the sounds you have LSD as otherwise only one wheel would want to bag up in the wet, and you just aint got enought grunt in the dry to spin em.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 23:04   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

yea, thats if i could get my head under the car! the faarken things too low! nah ill jack it up and have a look. thanks for that mate.
Hot Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 23:13   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Sounds like its an open wheeler. An open wheeler may spin both in the wet on dirt or on grass, but if only one wheel spins on bitumen, its not LSD. Fitting a 3.45 will increase take off and the rpm difference will only be small at 100k/h
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 23:51   #5 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

That's what I found out too. At 100kph it was stuff all difference in rpm, only 50-100 rpm. I say its definitely worth goin the 3.45's, the pick up down low is great.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:20   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Jack it up and in neutral spin one rear wheel by hand; if the other spins in the same direction it's LSd if not it's not.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:26   #7 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

The LSD in my EL XR6 is gone. It doesn't have a tag on the diff plug but I know it's LSD. I spun the wheel and the other one stayed still and sort of moved a tiny bit then stopped spining. If it was a single spinner the other wheels would turn in the opposite direction. I did a burnout last night and there was only 1 big black mark. I was dissapointed. I don't know whether it could just be the diff oil, or if the clutch packs inside the diff are fudged. Maybe I'll have to get it welded up again. I want LSD!

IS the standard EL LSD 3.23 and the XR6 3.45?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 07:41   #8 (permalink)
Insane By Nature

Well Im gona go jack up my car in the morn. Its an EBII and I was sure it was NOT an LSD till the other night when I had a very excited mate run up and pound on my drivers side door screaming Shit man, both wheels are going! It was dry conditions and on normal road and time after time again I got both wheels to spin no problem. However later on that night at a completely different location I tryed again and although both wheels did begine to spin on the spot at first one side eventually stopped without leaving any real mark while the other kept going.

Another interesting thing is that the other day we swear my mates drive wheel changed! (also an EB II) LoL, any ideas on any of this?
defective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 08:42   #9 (permalink)
Not a Twink

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
The LSD in my EL XR6 is gone. It doesn't have a tag on the diff plug but I know it's LSD. I spun the wheel and the other one stayed still and sort of moved a tiny bit then stopped spining. If it was a single spinner the other wheels would turn in the opposite direction. I did a burnout last night and there was only 1 big black mark. I was dissapointed. I don't know whether it could just be the diff oil, or if the clutch packs inside the diff are fudged. Maybe I'll have to get it welded up again. I want LSD!

IS the standard EL LSD 3.23 and the XR6 3.45?
Sounds like your diff is very rooted !
honer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 20:52   #10 (permalink)
XR8 Owner

hot ef, mine does the same thing, in the wet both wheels go nuts, where as in the dry only one goes most of the time. The LSD is just worn out.As said above check it has lsd by the tag on the diff.

putting in 345's will help, and lsd is fun so i reckon it's worth it
SiKEDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline