Ford Forums banner

To LSD, or not to LSD - that is the question.....

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
G
#1 ·
whats the advantage of an LSD? I currently run a 9" in XF with what I thought were 3.5 gears, only to find out they are 2.7's.

So now, I'm looking to upgrade to 3.9's or maybe 4.11's - but not sure whether to go LSD or not.

Besides the cost difference, are there any advantages / diadvantages to either?

The car is street driven, mild 5.0 with a T5, with the occasional traffic light blat - what do you guys suggest?

Thanks.:hrm:

#2 ·
LSD

An LSD will help to prevent excessive wheel spin of the inside tyre when cornering hard, and will distribute power to both wheels regardles of the road surface. Benifits come in better handeling, and being able to put more power down out of corners ad of the line. The drawback is less safe driving in the wet. As with a non LSD car if you accelerate to hard round a corner, the inside tyre will spin, and the car generaly wont oversteer excessivly, however with an LSD the back of the car will want to oversteer and drift.

Get an LSD, you wont regret it.

#8 ·
you cant go past LSD - Not only can you take off and corner faster...but you get to have a hell of a lot more fun! And if you are inclined to do the odd burnout, you dont have to worry (so much) about blowing your diff.

#9 ·
Gday Mad Max..If ur looking for a place to get the work done at go to Craft Diffs at Granville.I priced afew places and they were a good price with a good reputation too.
I cant see the benefit in running 3.9 or 4.11 gears on a mild 5.0L though!!! Im shure 3.5s would be way big enough for a street car.

G
#10 ·
StevenAU2 said:
Gday Mad Max..If ur looking for a place to get the work done at go to Craft Diffs at Granville.I priced afew places and they were a good price with a good reputation too.
I cant see the benefit in running 3.9 or 4.11 gears on a mild 5.0L though!!! Im shure 3.5s would be way big enough for a street car.
Thanks guys... the only reason I was thinking 3.9 or 4.11 was to utilise fifth gear more, plus mid range at the moment is a bit slow - 5th only gets used at speeds above 90k's now. waddayouguysrekon?

#11 ·
Remember all 9" diffs made in Aust or put in Aust vehicals are all L.S.D.By going too low in your final drive you have to change gears more often and maybe slower on 1/4 mile times.5'th gear is for better fuel economy not realy for performance.The 5 Ltr has soo much torque and revs so well, unless really modified[small power band] a too low ratio won't help.. Infact some time with a blown mill a higher gear is better, to use all that torque they generate..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.