Mad Max style super charger clutch... is it possible?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2003, 08:47   #1 (permalink)

Mad Max style super charger clutch... is it possible??

I'm wondering if it is actualy possible to hook up a clutch to a super charger and still have it work....

i know that some MR2s and other cars have been designed to do it, but is it really possibly on a carburated engine running a roots type super charger...

and have anyone seen this done sucessfully??

a virtual penny for your thoughts??
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2003, 14:07   #2 (permalink)

I believe the problem will be the engine having to suck through the blower when it is off. This will be very inefficient, without building a plumbers nightmare of bypass piping. Volvo Penta marine diesels use a system where a massively overdriven blower cuts in on an electric clutch to provide instant off idle boost. As the revs rise and the turbo spools up the blower cuts out, and they have bypass plumbing to make it all work.
Old 04-21-2003, 16:00   #3 (permalink)

i may be mixed up but isnt this just the cheap systems sold by places like CRS. where you turn the supercharger on or off by a swith in the car. its just clutch operated. but they are for fuel injected commodore engines so i dont know if it can work on a carby engine though id assume it could easily be adapted.
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 17:11   #4 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

No it's not.

When the blower is off, the engine would starve and cut out.

Max's was only a blower body sitting on the carby. No internals!!
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 17:50   #5 (permalink)

Clutch driven superchargers exist for small capacity engines. I don't know what type of blowers they are.

I don't know of anything for a roots blower, which wouldn't, I imagine, allow the engine to breath when not running.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 17:55   #6 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by LTDHO
No it's not.

When the blower is off, the engine would starve and cut out.

Max's was only a blower body sitting on the carby. No internals!!
Yes the movie car was just a mock-up but why wouldn't it work. With the blower clutch disengaged surely there would be sufficient vacuum to cause the rotors to free wheel and allow the engine to run. Maybe not very efficient but it ought to work.

I just checked out the CRS kits. They have V6 and Holden red/blue/black six supercharger kits with clutch operation. In their FAQ it says this;

Quote:
What happens to performance when the blower is not switched on?
Nothing happens as the clutch is free wheeling as on an air conditioner and when not switched on the vacuum from the motor rotate the rotors by themselves.
The V6 are EFI while the early motors are carby drawing through the blower. It ought to work the same on a V8.

Old 04-21-2003, 20:25   #7 (permalink)

Could be made to work quite easily!

You just need a check valve and bypass tubing between the carby and blower, so that when the blower is pressurising the intake, the valve is closed, but when the blower is off, there is a vacuum and the valve opens, bypassing the blower
ninka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 16:49   #8 (permalink)

Thats it, using a bypass for when its off would work fine... but a bit of work i reckon...

i was thinking also if there was some way to either gear it, or hook it up to a small electric motor so that when you disengage the SC the electric motor would kick in and spin the rotors at a much smaller velocity, not creating any additional pressure but just simply allowing air/fuel to flow through it....

Would that work??
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 21:49   #9 (permalink)
Getting bigger

the crs blower is just a toyota 2l blower. crs make them fit anything from harley's to commodores and anything in between
Old 04-29-2003, 01:16   #10 (permalink)

anything except ford sixes, I found after an email enquiry!
kiwi skid kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline