Ford Forums banner

manual to auto conversion

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Bertis_EB2 
#1 ·
Just wondering what price people have paid for a conversion..... I am thinking about doing it even though I am on a tight budget..... I am told the gearbox itself will cost me $500. however the eb2 btr95le trans, can easily get that money back if its in reasonable condition. Also that you can trick the auto computer into thinking the car is in neutral while driving.... with a second hand pedal box and clutch assembly. so if you think about it you may get away with this conversion for $300 or so....

I just thought i'd see what other peoples experiences where, soon as not many forums have talked about prices of this conversion.... seems a waste to have so many ea manuals sitting in wreckers

#2 ·
I ment auto to manual conversion

#3 ·
honestly i wouldnt be putting in a $500 gearbox, its likely to be stuffed or close to stuffed. the risk might pay off though, stranger things have happained.

#4 ·
For $500 you could prolly buy a written off whole car(manual EA) this gives you everything you need rather than chasing bits and pieces during the job and also gives you bits and pieces you can sell off after to recoup your costs(eg motor, diff, panels interior etc etc) after the conversion is completed.

I wouldn't count on getting $500 for your trans either

Check the damaged vehicle auctions and your local wreckers, you may be able to come away with very minimal cost in the long run, but it may cost abit upfront.

Most people don't discuss cost for conversions because it is extremely difficult to keep track especially if you are buying the parts individually. I converted to manual using the above mentioned method of buying a whole car at auction. I converted to V8 as well as manual and i ended up spending about 9 grand all up including over 5K just for the car, trust me it adds up quickly, if I had tryed to buy individual parts it would have been double that.

#5 ·
#6 ·
That's what your looking for, only with rear end damage!!

Front impact will reduce the amount of money you can make back when you are selling off parts later on.

Fowles delivered my car to me all the way from Tonwsville(i live in Adeliade)so they should be able to arrange delivery talk to them before the auction and make sure, that or hire a car trailer.

Can't invisage u paying more than $500 for that as it is, thought of looking for an EB XR6 with manual? then you get a Tickford motor, lsd,interior,bodykit as well, shouldn't cost much more either, then sell of your existing motor,trans,diff, etc etc

Might cost a little more to start with but not heaps, but you'll have a much better car overall when you finish, just a thought.

Make sure it's a rear end damaged car tho!

#7 ·
But not TOO screwed, I've seen a rear hit which broke the 5th gear cluster :/
And yeah, if you get $500 for an EB auto you deserve a bloody medal, most wreckers I know generally keep two on the shelf and use the rest as boat anchors.

#8 ·
haha I didnt say I was going to ask $500 for it..... but a guy recons he pays $450 for them..... I'd be happy to get 200-250 for mine.... its perfectly healthy and seems better than my mates ef auto so I should get a little bit for it anyways.... yeah I'm saving my pennys for a auction car atm...... thinking about getting one with very little damage so I can hopefully test the T5 out..more saving involved though.. I been browsing a few forums and my mate sent me over to fordmod.com...it is actually half decent which was surprising... I thought this forum would control all ford lovers.... anyways they said that some cars have 2 seperate computers an auto and manual that you could change without touching the ECU including EB2's..... anybody know anything about this as I see a lot of people with manual conversions still running the auto setup..... dont want some supra thinking I want to drag him because my auto decides to chuck the revs up to 3000......

Thanks for the help to

#9 ·
The auto and manual run different engine computers.
It'll make no difference to you, except that the engine will idle at 1000 RPM as it will think the box is in D.
You should be able to get the manual computer out of the wreck you buy anyway, it's a dead easy swap.

#10 ·
oh alright I could live with that till I got the money to go for a manual computer..Someone told me they reved up to 3000 got me a little scared... I'm waiting for a auction atm the with a few ea 5speeds otherwise I will be bidding with other people wanting the same thing.... How much could I pick up a damaged XR6 eb manual for ya recon??? would like having a spare engine in my shed especially a xr6 engine.... I'm thinking about a manual eb2 so I got a spare parts car but 99% seem to be auto's

#11 ·
I went to fowles auctions and they wouldnt even let me start the car...... so buggar them I'm giving pickles a shot in tullamarine..... gonna try and find a 5spd manual apparently they are a bit more pricey than fowles...... I'm gonna try and get a slightly damaged 5spd eb2,ed for $1100 or under..... think I can succeed?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.