Ford Forums banner

Manual Conversion

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Clutch 
#1 ·
Well I wasn't planning on even thinking about this mod for a long time yet but my current auto box is starting to play up and I figure that this is only going to deteriate further and I'd rather get a manual instead of fixing the auto. It's started not changing gear when its supposed to, sometimes you have to keep pushing the revs and eventually it heavily clunks into gear, it doesn't seem to be on any specific gear and it isn't happening very often yet. 90% of the time the gear changes are smooth as silk so I don't understand how they can be bad occasionally? Anyway, from what I have gathered from other posts, this is what I need:

Manual Gearbox
New Tailshaft
Crossmember
Clutch Pedal & Cable
Clutch & Pressure Plate
Bellhousing
EF Manual Computer
Pedal Box

Is there anything else I need? I'm going to shop around for the parts then get a local mechanic to put it in (they've quoted $500 for labour and said it would take about one day). Does anyone know where the best places in Sydney to get these parts from are?

See less See more
#2 ·
does the trans mainly have issues when cold?

#3 ·
EFFalcon said:
does the trans mainly have issues when cold?
It does tend to happen mostly in the mornings and at first I figured it must be cus its cold. It never used to happen though, not even in the mornings. On the odd occasion it happens after the car has had plenty of time to warm up.

#4 ·
hmm... could be worth checking the trans fluid level.
I found that when my car was cold, it was only a LITTLE low on trans fluid and it was slipping out of gear. topped it up and it was fine and has been since.

#5 ·
EFFalcon said:
I found that when my car was cold, it was only a LITTLE low on trans fluid and it was slipping out of gear. topped it up and it was fine and has been since.
Well that would be good and bad! Good cus it will save me alot of money but bad cus I want manual! Thanks for the tip

#7 ·
There is actually a way u can use the standard pedal box.
Not sure what the go is but i've heard of it being done before.

#9 ·
EFFalcon, you're right. Mal Wood sells the part. Its like a bolt, which passes through the existing hole on the pedal box, onto which the clutch pedal mounts. The part works for all e series falcons (and fairlanes for that matter:)) Costs around $70 from memory, but saves a WHOLE lot of work ie removing the dash to change pedal boxes

#10 ·
What about an automatic transmission service... its a replace of the oil and filter and does wonders!!! its amazing how neglected the autos get and sometimes when i have serviced cars the oil that comes out is just sludge... cars that have done 150k+ and its still orignal fluid i presume. shouldnt cost much and will do the world of good! :hy:

#12 ·
the pedal box where the clutch bolt is is weak tho, so on a manual, or even modified auto pedalbox, from what I hear it should be re-inforced... the firewall where the clutch cable runs thru needs to be reinforced too as they are known to tear... also with using an auto pedal box im pretty sure the brake pedal needs to be cut down and the rubber boot from a manual box put on...

#14 ·
EFFalcon said:
Well don't i feel stupid! All that worry thinking I was going to have to fork out for a new trans when all the current one needed was some more fluid

#15 ·
Gives you more time to decide if u want a manual and save the $$ if u do ;)

#16 ·
dj_pom82 said:
Well that would be good and bad! Good cus it will save me alot of money but bad cus I want manual! Thanks for the tip
You can also try Lucas transmission fluid. It works wonders for auto's who are acting up like that. I had an 86 stang for my first car and it had a bad leak so i had to keep filling it. I found that putting one 8~ dollar bottle of lucas in would make everything smoother for me. I have to put on in my buick soon cause the shift from first to second is rather hard.

I hear you on the good and bad part tho! I much prefer manual. power on demand. Just taught my GF to drive stick and she says she doesn't see herself going back to auto, even tho she sits in shotty traffic on her trip home from work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.