Manual conversion - Toploader or T5? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 18:59   #1 (permalink)

Manual conversion - Toploader or T5?

I've got a 400hp 351C in a xd with a tired C4. I want to go circuit racing and am looking to replace the C4 with a manual.

I'd like some opinions on which box I should go with without completely breaking the bank. Whats the cost of rebuilding the old top loader compared to T5 etc. Is the T5 a easy bolt in to the older model falcon? How much abuse can it take from a reasonable v8 in standard form?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2006, 03:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: Manual conversion - Toploader or T5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartide
I've got a 400hp 351C in a xd with a tired C4. I want to go circuit racing and am looking to replace the C4 with a manual.

I'd like some opinions on which box I should go with without completely breaking the bank. Whats the cost of rebuilding the old top loader compared to T5 etc. Is the T5 a easy bolt in to the older model falcon? How much abuse can it take from a reasonable v8 in standard form?

Thanks in advance.
Go the toploader. A T5 will not hold that engine in that application for very long at all. Ben.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:03   #3 (permalink)

What Ben says is very true,
but, you must ask some questions.

Your final drive....are you hitting peak revs long before the end of your straight?
if so you need another gear!

Don't forget in either Toplader or T5 you can have wide or close ratio boxes.

Both units will bolt up to and ford item without modification, so depending on your final drive, you may need both to suit different tracks.

One of my customers, has a pretty wild 69 Mach1 Mustang, and he has 7 sets of rear gears and runs only one box (a 6 speed double overdrive Tremec).
You have to to decide if you want a universal box, or be prepared to swap boxes or diff gears to be competitive.

If you have no interest in being competitive, and only wish to thrash it, the forget all i have said, go toploader and your current final drive, and be happy trading paint at the back.

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 20:33   #4 (permalink)

Top Loader it is. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline