Is manual shifting in an Auto bad for the trans? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2005, 15:43   #1 (permalink)

Is manual shifting in an Auto bad for the trans?

I have heard much debate as to whether shifting up and down between gear 1, 2 and 3 and to Drive is bad, what do you guys think. I have been doing it lately and the transmission seems to react fine. My car is a ford fairmont EbII 93 model. The reason i started doing it is a change in driving, using the gears to slow down in stead of always using my brakes. I've found its a huge help and it woudld seem as though the brakes will last alot longer.

I consulted with my uncle who has been working on cars for 30-40 years and he reckons its fine. He says the gears were designed to be used for towing, slowing down and what not. What are the views of you guys on this topic????
La ChroniK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2005, 19:10   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: Is manual shifting in an Auto bad for the trans?

A traditional automatic can be shifted manually. It merely locks out the higher gears and is slow to respond to shift changes compared to a manual.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 19:57   #3 (permalink)

Heard that it does cause pre-mature wear on bands and clutches, but have always done it myself and never had a problem.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:40   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by La ChroniK
I have heard much debate as to whether shifting up and down between gear 1, 2 and 3 and to Drive is bad, what do you guys think. I have been doing it lately and the transmission seems to react fine. My car is a ford fairmont EbII 93 model. The reason i started doing it is a change in driving, using the gears to slow down in stead of always using my brakes. I've found its a huge help and it woudld seem as though the brakes will last alot longer.

I consulted with my uncle who has been working on cars for 30-40 years and he reckons its fine. He says the gears were designed to be used for towing, slowing down and what not. What are the views of you guys on this topic????
my 0.02:

an auto box is going to shift auto anyway, no matter what you do with the stick. moving the stick just gives the box permission to change (when it feels like it)

newer autos here (in the uk) dont change unless it's safe to do so, so if youre doin 90, and you whack it in 1st, it'll carry on in D until it get sto a safe speed to shift to 1st..

the other 0.01 i have on the subject is; why would you use a $2000 transmission to slow a car down instead of a set of $40 brake pads? you could burn through 50 sets of pads before you spent the same amount of money as a knackered transmission
cjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:49   #5 (permalink)

The whole point in finding out this information is so that i know i can manually shift the auto without any problems. Every now and then i enjoy shifting up and down the gears, and with the added bonus of prolonging brake pad life- Why not do it? The beauty is though, i can still relax with the auto trans when im tired or when i just want to cruise?
Old 02-10-2005, 14:43   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by La ChroniK
The whole point in finding out this information is so that i know i can manually shift the auto without any problems. Every now and then i enjoy shifting up and down the gears, and with the added bonus of prolonging brake pad life- Why not do it? The beauty is though, i can still relax with the auto trans when im tired or when i just want to cruise?
If it was so bad for an Automatic Transmission to be sometimes or often Shifted Manually...Then why would Ford[and ever other Car Manufacturer]build them with a set up that allows you to do so??? If this was bad , they would have probably just gave you Park,Reverse,and Drive Gear to chose from on your T-Bar or Column would'nt they???
bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 23:59   #7 (permalink)

get a 5 sp dude!!!!!!!! you will never go auto again.....until 65+!!!!!!!!!
fordfreak ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:46   #8 (permalink)

I have thought about manual, but i mean, auto is good coz you can chill about it when tired, and i like to have that option. Also, you can still make auto's go good so im not too fussed about it, there always seems to be a constant battle between auto and manual, i think both are great :).
Old 02-11-2005, 08:13   #9 (permalink)
what u lookin at

yeh im sick of people goin "ive got a manual and im SIK so GET a MANUAL!!! and yes i had a T5 5 speed EFi XF with a few mods and it was a very fun car but they also have their downsides, just like an auto.
my auto shifts VERY quick when i want it too... and is very cruisy after a hard day at work. yeh the first gear is pretty long but a cam swap should sort that out to a degree.

but yeh definitly agree, they wouldnt giv you acess to manually shift up or down if it would damage the tranny.

Auto is cruisy, you can drink, eat, change cd, etc. much easier...
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 21:33   #10 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

I njoy the t56 in the Cobra over the auto in the Excursion.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline