Manual V8 EA to ED - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2003, 16:33   #1 (permalink)

Manual V8 EA to ED

I'm just curious if anyone has had the chance to drive a manual V8 in the EA to ED series, are they any bettere than the six? As I am deciding on whether a V8 option is the best way to go with my new ride, I have all the manual gear in my wreck, but that is for a six & there is a bit more needed for an 8.
Thanks,
eng-fnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2003, 17:49   #2 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Re: Manual V8 EA to ED

I have driven both and owned both.
Now this may cause a stir with some, but it is my opinion based on my own experiences with owning these cars.

All the 5L V8's pre AU2 200kw, are complete dogs. The 165kw/170kw are pathetic in there standard form.
The 185kw units are a little better, but a I6 with extractors will still hang in there with one.

Unfortunately to make them go, you need to spend some serious dollars on extractors/exhaust, TB, MAF, and inlet manifold. You then still only have somewhere between 190kw and 200kw.
The above will cost around 4-5k.

An I6 needs a cam and extractors/exhaust, which ranges between 1k and 2.5 k depending on who you buy from etc, and will hose the 5L (even with the above mods) at that point.

If you're considering spending some serious dollars to perhaps stroke the 5L and do some headwork, cam, etc, then things are different. The little Windsor can then produce decent power, 250 + kw.

If you're on a budget, stick with the I6.

Oh, and they also handle better and use less fuel.

Rick.

Last edited by Soxx; 10-13-2003 at 17:53.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 18:09   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that, thats pretty much what Herrods had said to me, except for they said just to go for the AU's onwards. I was hoping that the manual versions of the 8's might perform better, as I was looking at a couple of 8's to be my new ride & a new AU is not going to be option with a new flat just around the corner. I guess I'll just have to find another six to transfer all my bits over to then.
Old 10-14-2003, 00:30   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Karl has converted his EB from auto to manual, but we won't know the precise improvement until the next Heathcote day.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 00:59   #5 (permalink)
Serving Defect #3

i have also owned both a 6 and currently have an 8, I wouldnt go back to the 6 for all the money in the world. The low down torque of the v8 combined with Manual gears leaves the boring as 6 auto for dead, it is also quicker of the line and easier to drive hard than the 6 which always needed it's neck rung to get anywhere.

I had an exhaust on both the 6 and now the 8 and the 8 leaves the 6 note for dead, the 6 note was droney and annoying while the 8 note is crisp and has an old school rumble.

I cruise heaps and go to shows and stuff with my car and when it was a 6 people always use to say "gee nice car, pity it's a 6" Now they can't say it anymore

The 6 also offers fairly limited performance improvements unless you can afford forced induction, while the V8 has a huge aftermarket.

I found the v8 only uses about 1 litre more per 100kmh as well.

Jjust my impressions
fordfan351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 01:18   #6 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

Yeah... this is true... I have developed more power than what a standard V8 has with extractors and a zorst... but im running an EF XR6 set up since its a EFII Ghia..
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 01:50   #7 (permalink)

I got to agree with FordFan
We have both (altho the v8 is auto) and I wouldnt drive the ED6 over the EB8. True the Manual ED goes just as hard as the Auto 8 from takeoff, but from 40 or 60 the 8 flogs it! Fule economy in the 8 isnt too good, i get about 15k/s where in the ED i get about 10 or 11.
The 8 definetly sounds better tho ive heard some 6s that put 8s to shame! (in both noise and speed)
My GF has a CFI 4 speed auto wich doesnt even compair to either.
The 8 has also got more hotup potential.
PHoeNiX_EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:38   #8 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Hard to say really, The 6 has its benifits being a good package to upgrade easily. The 8 has the wank factor.
Personally Id drive both and soon Ill have an 8 and a 6 in manual form (for a while anyway). Its true that fuel economy isnt great in the 8 auto form especially around town, but after I converted to manual i was quite surpris3d at the drop in consumption, especially in town. I gues its each to their own, almost everyone with a 6 will want an 8 at some time and vice versa.

Ill also add V8 parts are stupidly overpriced.
Old 10-14-2003, 14:49   #9 (permalink)

Definetlly some fors and against there in both departments!!! Just curious NZ how did you convert your 6 to an 8, I spoke to a conversion shop & they told me that I could not use my 5speed out of my EA & put it behind a V8 ED, even if I had the correct bell housing.
Old 10-14-2003, 16:18   #10 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

My car was already a V8 when I got it but it was auto. A mate of mine had a near new box and most other nbits needed to convert to manual. Theea I have is a project i have been working on (no enough lately!) its goingto ba a 6 with a 5 speed. Sorry if there was confusion but I never converted to a V8. If you were to do this id suggest having a wrecked car complete and transfer stuff over. Theres a lot of differences i the V8's, k frame, suspension, brake setup dash etc to name a few off the top of my head.

Ive heard of people using I6 boxes behind a v8 by somehow lenghtening the input shaft but they dont really last that long. The box in your ea is the weakest used ea - ed apparenty
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline