Manually changing gears in Auto trans - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2003, 15:52   #1 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Manually changing gears in Auto trans

Can manually changing the gears in an auto transmission affect the wear or damage it in someway. I have shifting b/w 3rd & 4th gears in my EL XR8 without any trouble. Just wondering if there is any harm in doing this
MKII240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2003, 06:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: Manually changing gears in Auto trans

Hey Thomas,

I'm no expert but I read somewhere that it does cause undue wear over a period of time. How much would be hard to tell. If your downshifting as part of your braking procedure they reckon it is cheaper to replace pads than a box but hey, sometimes it's fun to manual change the auto!
s_pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 06:11   #3 (permalink)

I wouldnt think that it would casue too much wear in the trans as 3rd gear is the strongest in the box. I do this all of the time and have had no trouble at all in my EA Ghia.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:36   #4 (permalink)

Sometimes downshifting is handy...otherwise brakes may overheat and fade. (obvious, but i thought i might mention it any way)
i don't see how manually shifting between 3rd n 4th will increase wear at all...unless you forget to change...alot
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:34   #5 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Shifting between 3rd and 4th is no problem - around town, you don't really even need 4th. Shifting back to second at speeds under around 80km/h is also OK, but going back to first a lot can cause problems. I use mine asa manual every time i drive - but always between 2, 3 and 4. I only ever go back to 1 when I am towing the boat up a reasonable hill.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 00:43   #6 (permalink)

i have a 3spd auto. I get so bored driving i always change the gears between 2nd and 3rd. I herd it is bad to put it into 1st unless u are taking off from a stop. I always when slowing down gear down to second, then when taking off i change it to 3rd when i feel the revs are high enough. I mean, if u dont have a manual, u can atleast prentend you have one.
GL PRO SOUND
www.glprosound.com.au
1LOWEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 00:49   #7 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

dont do it in a BTR 4 speed(esp dropping to first). i killed mine by doing that.

now i have to shift every gear manually.(by choice, mind you)

Previous ride: EBII V8 Manual Ghia spring roll.
Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
jmartion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:46   #8 (permalink)

Leave it in 3 around town, and put it in D for highway driving. They were not designed for "boy-racer" gear changes. :)
Old 10-17-2003, 15:56   #9 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

The only "extra" wear would be from the torque coming FROM the wheels causing the gears in the box to be loaded in the opposite side of the teeth to what they normally which is acceleration - if you know what I mean. hmm tricky to try & explain what I'm thinking.

Changing down to 1st while decelerating would put a lot of extra load in that direction of the gearsets normally the gearsets would only be under load when accelerating in 1st - not when decelerating. You have to remember that the trans doesn't normally do downshifts until you drop below a certain speed - and even then only once you begin to accelerate again does it shift down.

But to be perfectly honest I don't think changing manually would be a problem in any modern trans - except maybe the downshift to 1st - and only then cos of the load coming from the wheels when it wasn't probably designed to be taking that.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 01:57   #10 (permalink)