Minispools - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2004, 18:59   #1 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

Minispools

Probally a stupid question but i just want to no if minispools are dangerous in the wet? I was told they are, is this true?
XA Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2004, 19:38   #2 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Re: Minispools

I dont think it would be much more dangerous than an LSD. Just more responsive as the axles are locked into each other permanently, and it doesnt have any give when you go around corners. your rear tyres will squeal going around a round about slowly.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 19:45   #3 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

Are minispolls exspensive? Ive seen them advertised for $66 for Borg Warners. Do they just go straight in or do you have to change things? Thanks
Old 01-28-2004, 20:41   #4 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Its the hassle of fitting thats the biggest cost. Buying the part is easy. You also need to be sure on the spline. I know i can get one for mine for about $90.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 21:18   #5 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

on the street it will tear stuff up- a friend of mine had a jeep with a locked up rear posi unit- when turning corners it didnt just 'squeal the tires', it would kinda chirp,chirp,chirp, violently, tugging at the steering as it turned corners...large tires probably aggravated it...would think twice about it on the street...in the wet you could spin out very easily.
limited slip can have similar problems, but not nearly as bad. I remember years back, hotrod had an article on "$1.98 posi"...i think they just shimmed spiders a bit snug in 9" ford, got carrier drag similar to that of limited slip. I'll see if I can find the article...
Old 01-28-2004, 21:28   #6 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

So is it worth getting it on the street? Or should i just go LSD?
Old 01-28-2004, 21:39   #7 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

found a little bit on ford fe forums site- pasting:

<<<$1.98 Posi for the Ford 9" (early eighties car mag article)
June 14 2002 at 5:46 PM
Wayne (Login wayneproperties)
Members

Response to No limited slip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the muscle magazines back then ran a tech article on how to convert your 9" open rear to a posi type locking unit for only $1.98.

The short story is: Buy a new pair of Ford 9" Side Gear shims from your Ford parts counter and install them IN ADDITION to the pair already in there. That's it. Put it back together, add gear oil, and go racing.

The Side Gear Shims are the gears that your axles pass thru on each side. By adding the extra pair of shims to them you pre-load assembly into a sort of limited slip.

The article went on to say that who knows how long it will last, but hey, for $1.98 what do you expect!?

I've tried this on two different 9" rears and yes, it does work. I exploded the 1st one after a couple of hard years, the other one still sits under the car in one piece. As a little admission of guilt, I added the shims to the 2nd 9" rear because it wasn't locking up very well. It's a Traction-Lok unit. May the God's forgive me!

Wayne

429 Torino>>>

The above was only thing I could find on that article, but he explained it pretty much...
ford4v429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 21:41   #8 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

limited slip for the street- in my opinion...
ford4v429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 21:53   #9 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Thumbs down Re: Minispools

Spools of any type are bloody dangerous and should NOT be used on the street in the wet or dry.

Fine for drag racing but not day-to-day driving. Cars have a differential for a reason you know.
Old 01-28-2004, 22:48   #10 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Spools are illigal on the street for a reason, and the first cop with half a clue that sees you 'skipping' around a corner will have your ass. And don't even bother trying to park it, especially if its manual and you don't have power steering.

LSD's are tough enough for most purposes. For street driving the only other choice is a detriot locker, but thats a serious upgrade worth a few grand.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline