My auto problems, HELP with my dilemma! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2003, 19:38   #1 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

My auto problems, HELP with my dilemma!

Hey all, here’s a bit of a transmission post. I hope some of you guys can help me out with this one. I

For a few months now my Fairmont EL V8 with a BTR97LE auto has been squealing (read shreaking quite loudly) when it upshifts usually only above 3500ishRPM. Ford have had a look at the box and they see 3 problems with it. The original complaint (the squeal when shifting from 1st to 2nd) is apparently the planetary gear set and will cost $1500 to fix/replace incl. removal and refit. The hard shifts I also complained about are the S5 (and possible S1, 2, 3 and 4 too) solenoid(s) and will cost $600 incl. labour. They also picked a squawk in 3rd which is apparently the C1 clutch and will be $500-$600 to fix incl. removal and refit. Ford also said that you can’t be sure of the condition of the other clutches, solenoids, gears, pistons, o-rings, kitchen sinks, blah blah and recommend a reconditioned box be fitted for $1900 all up. My car has only done 149,000klms.

Now my warranty will cover unlimited number of claims but only up to $1000 each… so I could go the reconditioned box for $900 or do the solenoids by them selves for free, then the C1 clutch by itself for free and then do the gear set for an outlay of $1500 - $1000 = $500 all up. This would mean a lot of overhead and doesn’t accommodate additional faults within the box. I could leave it as is (although I should do the solenoid(s) as the hard shifts smash the diff about a bit) and wait for the box to die before replacing it (the reconditioned box comes with 2 year 50,000klm warranty).

Also, if I’m getting my current box fixed, perhaps I could get it strengthened at the same time eg shift kit? Not sure what could be done here.

The other consideration (and one that excites me) is a manual conversion if I’m talking about replacing the entire box. I have no idea how this will work with my warranty. I mean will they still fork out the $1k that they’d otherwise have to spend anyway (on labour say). The new box may not be covered at all (although the installer may provide some warranty, I’d want this) and also whom can I get to do such a conversion properly. Would Ford be capable??? A manual conversion may be not out of the question. What other implications with a manual conversion should I consider? How would you tackle this entire situation? Thanks so much for your thoughts everyone… !Gn|T|0n
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2003, 03:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: My auto problems, HELP with my dilemma!

Have to admit that the manual option tweaks the interest, but I don't like your chances of getting Ford to come to the party! Never hurts to ask though....

Should be nothing wrong with a reconditioned auto (after all that's what most people get when they fry the original) and you should get at least a 12 mth warranty on it. However, if your Ford dealer is like one of my old local ones, they will just get a tranny off the local rebuilder and charge you an extra service fee for fitting it! But as it's under warranty, this shouldn't matter too much. Might pay to check exactly what they are intending to do.
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 13:22   #3 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Or you could wait til feb ( when I get my manual conversion done ), and buy my box

You know you want to !

Have you confirmed that that the warranty mob will see it as 3 separate problems, rather than "The tranny's rooted, that'll be $2500" ?

I'd probably be tempted to get a re-co box. You've 2 years of trouble free shifting for $400 more than otherwise. Will save you heaps of hassle and fooling around...... (especially if the other bits and bobs go later)
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 14:33   #4 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

hey guys, thanks, after a nights sleep I've woken up and gone "mmmmmmm manual" :s6: and I've called up ford to ask them for a quote on the conversion. The guy I spoke with mentioned an ECU change (though he didn't sound sure) and was a little frightened of wiring changes. He said that he wouldn't personally take on the job but would ask the workshop to see if they would undertake it. I'll ring the warranty provider now too and get the low down with a speculative inquiry. Can anyone confirm the need for a different ECU??? In the V8 the trans controller is separate to the ECU so I thought it'd work fine! Anyone?

... oh and also, what's the go with getting a compliance plate re done and do you need an engineers certificate?
Old 11-05-2003, 14:43   #5 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

bleh, I just called the warranty provider and they won't cover ANY of the cost involved in the conversion / "modification" and obviously that modification and any damage caused to otherwise covered parts as a result of that new component are not covered any more. So if I can do the manual conversion for $900 (or maybe a bit more, incl selling my current auto) then in my mind the conversion is still feasible.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:30   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

i reckon get an exchange box for $900, then sell it in the trader for like $1600 or so, as it will only have about 1000km on it tops by the time you have all the money and bits and pieces needed to do the conversion, and you have a legit excuse to sell it "manual conversion mate"

i can get stuff from ford cheap (you are best to get a new pedal box and clutch cable rather than second hand ones) so for any new stuff ask me.

i wouldnt mind having a go at converting your car if you want, but make sure you get a V8 manual box and find out what the go is with the wiring...

oh yeah - no idea about the compliance plate issue - im pretty sure it diesnt matter, mainly they care about engines. ring QLD transport man...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!

Last edited by Rollin; 11-09-2003 at 04:36.
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 15:24   #7 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Hey rollin, thanks! I'm still sort of uming and aring about the conversion... It would certainly make for a very unique car (and a little quicer and a lot more fun!) I might be able to get access to a work shop with a hoist etc too. What sort of prices can you get from ford? I ran around and found that you can use the standard ECU and BEM... how long do you think the conversion would take? I can just imagine getting 1/2 way into it and finding there's some bits missing or something! How confident are you at us getting it done right? What's involved in fire wall reinforcement? So many questions! I'd really rather not go through the hassle of a replacement auto then a manual conversion
Old 11-09-2003, 18:02   #8 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Theres nothnig to change with the wiring if you get the wiring loom on the manual box. Same ECU and BEM as you said. Its pretty straight forward on the V8's

Took us about 10 hours on my car. Freind of mine has a nice new V8 T5 stting in his shed he'd sell. Pity tis in Melb.

Reinforce your firewall!
Old 11-09-2003, 19:29   #9 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
Theres nothnig to change with the wiring if you get the wiring loom on the manual box. Same ECU and BEM as you said. Its pretty straight forward on the V8's

Took us about 10 hours on my car. Freind of mine has a nice new V8 T5 stting in his shed he'd sell. Pity tis in Melb.

Reinforce your firewall!
How much does he want for the V8 T5? PM me :s6: I'll be in Sydney in December so I could do the trip myself I guess.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:11   #10 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

whats the prob with getting a brand spankers auto fitted for $900 bucks?
just drop it off and pick it up a few hours later - make sure you book it in well in advance.

if you dont replace it then you will have a stuffed auto that nobody will want - what are you going to do with it? one that works is a lot more marketable, and removing a stuffed auto to fit a T5 takes just as long as removing a new auto to fit a T5.

re-inforcing the firewall the Rollin way is no worries either :D i have two 5mm galvanised steel plates in my firewall - they aint going nowhere!

you need to get a pedal box - pedals and stuff come seperately so you need them too, then you need a clip and cable, a gearshift surround and lever, flywheel and clutchplate, and obviously a T5 that works - also depends on what the T5 comes with.

dont know if tailshafts are different? or what the go is with gearbox mounts? i think you should get the box and as much of the bots as you can, then i will have a look and we can figure out what we need from there.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline