my ef's erratic automatic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2004, 19:45   #1 (permalink)
omg sik neons bro

my ef's erratic automatic

g'day, up untill my recent purchase of an ef, i've owned nothing but manuals... so i know sfa about the ef's auto apart from the basics.

the problem is recently, (ie:) i'd be cruising on the high way, slowly speed up to overtake someone doing 80, instead of kicking down from 4th, all of a sudden the trans kicks down into neutral will rev out while the pedal is still on then change to second and rev high, this last for a few seconds untill it corrects itself and changed back to 3rd/4th i have tried manually changing it upto 3rd, economy switch on etc and this does nothing. it's starting to happen more lately, mainly erratic changes to a low gear and on some occasions won't downchange from 3rd/2nd from a stop start.

ps: i can manually change the shifter into 3/2 and 1st to a degree, i have to hold the shifter over the 1 to get it to change as the shifter won't lock in, prehaps it's had a small front end hit that's put it out a bit?

cheers.
cromax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2004, 03:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: my ef's erratic automatic

The trans is in need of a serious service,dont take any chances with the four speed trans as the longer you leave it the more problems you will have and unlike the three speed they are very expensive to replace unless you luck a good cheap second hand one.
torpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 04:03   #3 (permalink)

forgot to mention,check rear trans rubber mount if you think it is lincage related and also engine mounts.
torpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 11:51   #4 (permalink)
FPV & XR Club Member

I had the exact same problem. Even through me into 2nd on the freeway! Man was that fun to watch. I don't know much about this stuff either but my mech told me he'd seen it a few times and told me there was a faulty chip not working correctly. The way to test it is put the car in 1st, then drive and see if it changes gear even though the stick is still in first. Rev it out. If it changes then that should be it. Cost me $90 to replace. You should hope its only that.

Hope it helps.

Kirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline