Ford Forums banner

my ef's erratic automatic

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  KRPXR8 
#1 ·
g'day, up untill my recent purchase of an ef, i've owned nothing but manuals... so i know sfa about the ef's auto apart from the basics.

the problem is recently, (ie:) i'd be cruising on the high way, slowly speed up to overtake someone doing 80, instead of kicking down from 4th, all of a sudden the trans kicks down into neutral will rev out while the pedal is still on then change to second and rev high, this last for a few seconds untill it corrects itself and changed back to 3rd/4th i have tried manually changing it upto 3rd, economy switch on etc and this does nothing. it's starting to happen more lately, mainly erratic changes to a low gear and on some occasions won't downchange from 3rd/2nd from a stop start.

ps: i can manually change the shifter into 3/2 and 1st to a degree, i have to hold the shifter over the 1 to get it to change as the shifter won't lock in, prehaps it's had a small front end hit that's put it out a bit?

cheers.

#2 ·
The trans is in need of a serious service,dont take any chances with the four speed trans as the longer you leave it the more problems you will have and unlike the three speed they are very expensive to replace unless you luck a good cheap second hand one.

#4 ·
I had the exact same problem. Even through me into 2nd on the freeway! Man was that fun to watch. I don't know much about this stuff either but my mech told me he'd seen it a few times and told me there was a faulty chip not working correctly. The way to test it is put the car in 1st, then drive and see if it changes gear even though the stick is still in first. Rev it out. If it changes then that should be it. Cost me $90 to replace. You should hope its only that.

Hope it helps.

Kirk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.