Need Help with XA fairmont hardtop - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2005, 03:46   #1 (permalink)

Need Help with XA fairmont hardtop

My falcon currently has the original 4 speed toploader gearbox. It often misses 2nd gear and sometimes slips out. I have decided to change to a 5 speed gearbox. The only person in town who new anyhitng about it told me that i would need a T5 TKO gearbox to accomodate the 351 valued at $3800. This seems far too extreme worth almost the car itself. Are the any cheaper otptions? Or could someone tell what specific gearbox would fit into an XA 351 coupe? Thanks
1973falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2005, 03:57   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Need Help with XA fairmont hardtop

Theres not many stong 5 or 6spds that'll hold the torque of a 351 or fit into the tunnel of a X series Falcon. I'd suggest finding a box s/h or fixing your toploader. The TKO is good but depending on your engine and purpose it isn't a good box if you plan to drag race. When looking @ box's you want to find out the max load in ftlbs you can put on 1st and 2nd. This way you can determine whether you'll break it.

I personally wouldn't remove a toploader. They ain't stupidly strong but hell they're a lot better than most 5 and 6spds. A hell of a lot cheaper too.

Brenden
Old 02-24-2005, 04:23   #3 (permalink)

I think you will find that the problems with the toploader are shifter related. Check it over and rebuild/replace the worn items. The springs etc can be purchased new.

http://www.toploaderheaven.com/diagn...t_problems.htm
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:49   #4 (permalink)

What diff ratios are you running? Nobody ever needs a 5 speed, it just makes freeway driving not so painful using 4.11's etc.

1st thing I'll say is what condition is your toploader shifter? They are well known to cause heaps of grief when broken. Is your shifter spring loaded to one side when in the neutral position? Can you feel the reverse gate when shifting into reverse? Can you slide straight into each gear?

Take your shifter off and put a recon kit thru it (from Rare Spares) and see if that makes a difference.

The slipping out of gear issue sounds internal.

The T5 and TKO are 2 separate gear boxes, both however are owned by Tremec. The T5 is the junior burger of them all. What are your driving habits, horsepower and intended applications for the car?

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...cts/tremec.asp

I don't agree that TKO's aren't good for drag racing. There are heaps of 9 and 10 sec cars in the US using them no probs. Only issue is difficulty shifting above 7000rpm (can be modded), but not too many people with that problem. Power shifting and missing a gear is suicidal too

Example: 1.3 60 footer and wheels hanging in the air...............10.1 @ 132

http://www.hardcore50.com/racer_prof...eHemminger.htm
Old 02-24-2005, 04:57   #5 (permalink)

So, I'd keep the bullet proof Toploader. There are alot more hidden costs and mods required to run a TKO
Old 02-25-2005, 06:37   #6 (permalink)

The box has been completly rebuilt. The springs have been done aswell in nutral the shifter sits firmly to the left. The highway driving is a pain with no overdrive. Not very aggressive driving habbits. Not intended for drag racing just a street car. Which TKO model is suitable for the x series 351?
Old 02-25-2005, 06:39   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Theres only one Tremec TKO. If your not racing it, it'll last a very long time. Other Tremec box's aren't as strong as the TKO.

Brenden
Old 02-25-2005, 06:45   #8 (permalink)

Ahh I see now. Was getting very confused. So how much are TKO's worth new/second hand?
Old 02-25-2005, 06:52   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973falcon
Ahh I see now. Was getting very confused. So how much are TKO's worth new/second hand?
I honestly couldn't tell you. I know what it was 2 years ago when I asked after I broke another C4. Two years ago my quote was $5000 or $5500 from CRS (castlemaine rod shop). I decided to put another C4 in for obvious reasons. Although I've broke 3 C4's since and are now putting a Chev powerglide auto in. As I've given up on Ford autos. It's costing me more than a manual would have but I know I can't break this

I'm sure the TKO's aren't that much to do anymore. Have you contacted Mal Wood Or CRS?

Brenden
Old 02-25-2005, 06:57   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, Mal said $3800 for the TKO $4700 drive in drive out. Thats starting to sound cheap now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline