Need a new diff - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2003, 07:00   #1 (permalink)

Question Need a new diff

Hi there... need some help with repairs to my car (Ford XD 351C). When I bought it a year ago the diff wasn't in the best condition. It's an LSD that only works sometimes :). Now it's finally given up, making noises, leaking oil, and generally giving me crap. I'd like to replace it with a 9" (currently I think it's an 8.5), but so far the 2 mechanics I've spoken to give me the impression of "well, I've never done it before, but how hard can it be?".

So my question is this - where in melbourne can I find someone to do this? Or if you can't give out names (I'm new, so I'm not sure if that'd be classed as advertisement or something?), what should I be looking for in the yellow pages?

Thanks for any info,
-Truffles
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2003, 03:50   #2 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Re: Need a new diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles
Hi there... need some help with repairs to my car (Ford XD 351C). When I bought it a year ago the diff wasn't in the best condition. It's an LSD that only works sometimes :). Now it's finally given up, making noises, leaking oil, and generally giving me crap. I'd like to replace it with a 9" (currently I think it's an 8.5), but so far the 2 mechanics I've spoken to give me the impression of "well, I've never done it before, but how hard can it be?".

So my question is this - where in melbourne can I find someone to do this? Or if you can't give out names (I'm new, so I'm not sure if that'd be classed as advertisement or something?), what should I be looking for in the yellow pages?

Thanks for any info,
-Truffles
You can fit a 9" to and XD with ya eyes shut, it is that easy!

If you a 1/2 mechanical minded, do it ya self.

If ya wanna pay someone? I'll do it. Either tell me the type (disk or drum) and the ratio. The better the ratio, the more expensive.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:29   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

Yep, you don't even need to be 1/2 mechanicaly minded. Only real potential problems are handbrake cables being different, and different sized unis.
AndrewsXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:29   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsXR8
Yep, you don't even need to be 1/2 mechanicaly minded. Only real potential problems are handbrake cables being different, and different sized unis.
Hehe, I want the unis replaced anyway, 'cause I'm guessing they're going to be worn, and the handbrake cable has been broken for 8 days now... Using the engine as a break works, even on my hill, unless I put it in 3rd like I did the other day... luckily I also had a brick under the wheel.

Oyeah, disc brakes... and the ratio, maybe a little up on what I've got now, but I don't know what that is.

Thanks for the info, gives me more confidence to get work done. As for doing it myself, I don't have the tools and wouldn't know where to start. Plus, if a mechanic does it I can have it done without taking a day off work.

Thanks,
-Truffles
Old 08-04-2003, 20:11   #5 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles

Thanks for any info,
-Truffles
I would suggest if the car is not putting out more than 160kw at the wheels stick with the borg warner LSD you already have. The amount of money you'll spend converting to a 9" you could completely rebuild the BW, change the ratio to just about anything you like and I would say you'd be at least $500 better off. And you get to keep the brakes, use a standard handbrake cable and its not considered a mod on your insurance.

Check your PM's for a place that does work with BW diffs and will be able to help you with quotes for both the rebuild and the 9".
Old 08-05-2003, 05:12   #6 (permalink)

Re: Re: Need a new diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
I would suggest if the car is not putting out more than 160kw at the wheels stick with the borg warner LSD you already have. The amount of money you'll spend converting to a 9" you could completely rebuild the BW, change the ratio to just about anything you like and I would say you'd be at least $500 better off. And you get to keep the brakes, use a standard handbrake cable and its not considered a mod on your insurance.

Check your PM's for a place that does work with BW diffs and will be able to help you with quotes for both the rebuild and the 9".
I'm going for an engine swap at the end of the year. Hoping by then I've got enough saved for something with a whole lot more grunt (as well as buying all the extras that I need so that I don't break anything :) ).

But the insurance thing is something I wasn't thinking about just yet, ta for the reminder.

I'll check out what different mechanics have to say, thanks for the PM.

-Truffles
Old 08-06-2003, 01:41   #7 (permalink)
Whats traction?

No worries.

Don't underestimate the strength of a properly built BW diff. I have a mate who blew his rebuilt 351 before the diff, in fact the diff is still going to this day.

He was putting out around 170rwkw and was doing heaps of burnouts. Funny part was he was trying to blow the diff to justify a 9" and blew his engine up instead.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline