Neutral Out Condition - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 18:33   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
KStromberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 281
Garage
Neutral Out Condition

I have had a lot of work done to the Lincoln lately. One of the things that was done was a lower mile(20K) rebuild out of a newer Crown Vic was put in due to the fact that my installer thought the fluid in my original was contaminated with clutch material. It indeed was nasty looking.

I agreed to the newer tranny seeing that a 3800 rpm stall converter and JMOD was going to compliment this tranny.

Here's my situation:

At around 30-35 mph when the car should shift into 3rd, rather it slips into neutral. Mind you this is ONLY on lighter throttle. I can either let off the gas when this happens, rpms will drop and the gear will engage, or else, I can throttle hard and "punch through" the condition. The fluid level is fine and color is normal.

Am I dealing with a sensor like the MLP here or am I dealing with a shadetree installer that sold me a bunk tranny?
__________________
-1992 Ford F-150 (winter truck)
-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (fun car)13.591@101.72mph
KStromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-19-2010, 08:25   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
Re: Neutral Out Condition

Were you possibly sold an automatic 6 speed transmission? If so, you should check out the "Merged Transmission Problems. Please post them here!!! forum. The condition you describe is experienced in a 6 speed automatic and a CVT that was place in Mercury Montego's, Ford Five Hunderd's and 2008 Taurus and Sable's. I should know. I have one and have experienced exactly what you just posted many time. Good Luck.
RhamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
KStromberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 281
Garage
Re: Neutral Out Condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhamM View Post
Were you possibly sold an automatic 6 speed transmission? If so, you should check out the "Merged Transmission Problems. Please post them here!!! forum. The condition you describe is experienced in a 6 speed automatic and a CVT that was place in Mercury Montego's, Ford Five Hunderd's and 2008 Taurus and Sable's. I should know. I have one and have experienced exactly what you just posted many time. Good Luck.
Where on God's green earth did you come up with that idea? I just stated that the transmission came out of a newer Crown Victoria. The only transmissions used in the somehat newer Vics were the 4R70W and the 4R75W NEITHER of which is a 6 speed.

And why are you telling me where to post? Are you a moderator?
__________________
-1992 Ford F-150 (winter truck)
-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (fun car)13.591@101.72mph
KStromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 21:21   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT
 
Bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,886
Re: Neutral Out Condition

Have you asked the rebuilder about the problem. It could be numerous things. Valve body has a sticking valve, VSS, sticking solenoid. Sometimes a problem with the engine will show up as a transmission problem. You could also clean the MAF with MAF cleaner and see if it helps.
__________________
Bert
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 21:58   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
KStromberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 281
Garage
Re: Neutral Out Condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Have you asked the rebuilder about the problem. It could be numerous things. Valve body has a sticking valve, VSS, sticking solenoid. Sometimes a problem with the engine will show up as a transmission problem. You could also clean the MAF with MAF cleaner and see if it helps.
The rebuilder was in the picture 20K miles ago, so that is not possible but I have spoke with my installer who did the tranny swap. He says it is tune-related and I disagree with that statement as much as I would disagree with a person who tells me Obama is a white man. It is getting frustrating trying to deal with this guy. I personally think it is most likely related to a faulty or misaligned MLP sensor or a loose connector somewhere.

At this point he is telling me to throw away the $350 SCT chip and of course he conveniently has a Diablo tune for the same price.
__________________
-1992 Ford F-150 (winter truck)
-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (fun car)13.591@101.72mph
KStromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 13:37   #6 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 6,146
Re: Neutral Out Condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStromberg View Post
Where on God's green earth did you come up with that idea? I just stated that the transmission came out of a newer Crown Victoria. The only transmissions used in the somehat newer Vics were the 4R70W and the 4R75W NEITHER of which is a 6 speed.

And why are you telling me where to post? Are you a moderator?
lol, the name of the thread is Merged-Transmission Problems??? Please post them here...
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:58.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.