New 9", Juddering like crazy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2004, 02:36   #1 (permalink)

New 9", Juddering like crazy

Hi all

we have gone through the pain staking process of putting a reco'd ninc inch in the ass end of my XD...
after taking it for a spin the clutches seem to be REALLY sticky and is acting like a locker center, is this normal? or does it just need more time to run the clutches in?
it only does it around corners so i put it down to the clutches, are there any other reasons why this could be happening

specs
(brand new 3.25 center, LSD, new bearings clutches etc)

PLEASE HELP!
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
XDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2004, 04:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: New 9", Juddering like crazy

cmon, someone must know whats going on, its acting like a locker diff, which it isnt... PLEASE (WBT56 do you know anything about it)?????\

help me please, anyone with the same experiance?
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
Old 03-23-2004, 13:43   #3 (permalink)

If the clutch pack was set up particularly tight it will do it. You should have mineral LS oil and the Ford 9" additive. This will help the clutches to bed in properly. Go easy on it, if it is real savage and you flog it before you run it in you may strip the facing off the composite plate or other clutches.
Old 03-23-2004, 19:54   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDman
Hi all

we have gone through the pain staking process of putting a reco'd ninc inch in the ass end of my XD...
after taking it for a spin the clutches seem to be REALLY sticky and is acting like a locker center, is this normal? or does it just need more time to run the clutches in?
it only does it around corners so i put it down to the clutches, are there any other reasons why this could be happening

specs
(brand new 3.25 center, LSD, new bearings clutches etc)

PLEASE HELP!
It's very normal. Got to love tight 9" LSD clutches. You get all the fun of a minispool and without the pitfalls.

Mines been tight like that for 19,200k's. I've done burnouts/drag raced you name it I've done it to it. Just can't hurt it or loosen it.

Brenden
Old 03-23-2004, 22:21   #5 (permalink)

really? dang
anyways rang the guy that rebuilt the diff and he said it was normal (not that i didnt take ur word for it WBT56 my dad had to make sure, lol
i think ive got castrol syntec LSX in it? something like that...
so how long should i wait before i can do burnouts etc?
EDIT: it seems like its going away so is that the time when i can start putting it under stress ?
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

Old 03-23-2004, 22:26   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

You should only get it when cornering. Provided the fluids okay and the diff isn't whining. I'd give it no more than 500k's. Then just go for it. 500k's is plenty is time for a misalligned crown wheel and pinion to bear it's ugly head.

Think about it this way. Seen anyone run a new car in?? Most people don't as it's not necessary. If it's built right? you don't have problems.

Brenden
Old 03-23-2004, 22:38   #7 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

How much better is your acceleration now? Did you notice much difference?
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 18:45   #8 (permalink)

yeh dan
i raced my mates VX... shits all over it now, and i got beaten by about half a car length with the 2.92 BW now with the 3.25 9" its flies, 1st to 2nd change is so quick and ur up at 80 in second... mmmmmmmm uses more fuel tho, compromises are at hand here...

the acceleration u cant really notice the difference, but the engines gets up to redline nice n quick now
there was a fair bit of muckin around in getting it in, but we did all the installation ourselves so we saved around 400 bux, and it is worth it but expensive upfront, now my driveline could handle around 400-500 hp with ease i rekkon...
XDman
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

Old 03-26-2004, 18:47   #9 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Nice its always fun to beat new commodores in old fords.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 20:58   #10 (permalink)

There is a diff additive you put in to stop the chattering. Ford, Holden and Penrite make it. It's about 300mls and is designed to stop LSD chatter. Fords part No is LSD1RSO1LK1T i think. Go to parts at any ford dealer and they'll know what you're after.
zc347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline