Ford Forums banner

New clutch for EL XR6 - Cable or Hydraulic?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I started to hear a rattling noise coming from under my car not long ago, and after some investigation I found it stopped when I put my clutch in. Now, I've been told by quite a few people its probably my thrust brace (?? I think thats what they said ??) and its easier and cheaper just to change the entire clutch myself.

I have two questions. Is this easy todo? I'm not scared of some hard work.. so thats no worries and the second question is should I get a normal cable clutch put back in or a Hydraulic one? I've heard Hydraulic clutches are tons better than cable. Is that true, has anyone put a Hydraulic clutch in their EL (XR)? What did it cost? I don't even know how much cable clutches cost yet :)

Sorry for the bombardment of questions.. very new to all this car stuff and eager to learn. And my apologies if it sounds like I have no idea....

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hydraulic or cable is the system that operates the clutch it bassically doesn't know what system is used.You would have to change the whole padal box etc to change.
Imo Unless you have major power increases over std fit the original pressure plate and maybe a stronger more durable [more$$] clutch plate. I have welded a small bracket from outer cable guid on firewall to bolt on inner guard for they can pull through the forewall..

But my car has made that noise from new. I think it can be the tin cover over cable on bellhousing can rattle and comes good when tension is on cable..Check..

#4 ·
Talk to your local brake and clutch bussness. There are heaps of different brands out there. He may even supply some tools to help with the exchange...Our local guy does...You'll be surprised the price too compared to Ford spares...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.