NF Fairlane V8 Automatic Transmission Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2004, 05:53   #1 (permalink)

NF Fairlane V8 Automatic Transmission Problems

I have a problem with my 96 model v8 auto fairlane, everything had been running fine for about a year then one day while driving on a flat road at 110km/h the car decided to change from drive to 3rd gear for no reason. Would not go back into 4th for a while and then came good. But has now continually been doing the same thing. Ive had the transmission looked at, no fault codes and had a service done. But a day later it started it again. Took it back to them and they said it was some pressure control solenoid, changed that, next day same thing. Also when the car is playing up when stopped at lights and you start excellerating the car won't rev past 2800rpm??? untill it gets into 3rd then it keeps going and going and won't change into 4th?? And still no fault codes? Seems to only do it after about 30min of driving or so, when its cold it works perfectly.
Also if you push your foot to the floor to try and get it to kick back a gear it refuses to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
nfv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2004, 07:39   #2 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

Re: NF Fairlane V8 Automatic Transmission Problems

its droping into limp home mode. Sounds like its overheating somehow.

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 13:40   #3 (permalink)

As above, limp mode. Those models were bad for the electrical connections on the solenoids in the box getting loose.
Old 02-11-2004, 15:07   #4 (permalink)

If the car is going into limp mode shouldn't i get a fault code from the car? And if it is going into limp mode how can i find out what is making the car go into limp mode?

Is there an easy way to check the electrical connections in the box?, I guess I have to drop the pan to check them. But if the connections are loose wouldn't the computer log a fault code?
Old 02-12-2004, 22:20   #5 (permalink)

Should I get a fault code if the car goes into limp mode?
Old 02-14-2004, 13:09   #6 (permalink)

No, I don't think so. Unless one of these faults are present.

The trans will set a fault for

Temperature
Mode switch
Faulty solenoids

What is the colour of your fluid? If it is brown or black, change out the lot, the whole 10 litres. Cures many ills.

Does it do this in both Power and Econ mode. Mine does some weird things in Power, so I just leave it in Econ.

cheers

Last edited by TopGhia; 02-14-2004 at 13:16.
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 21:44   #7 (permalink)

I have had 4 litres of oil changed twice in the last week and it all looks as good as new, it plays up in both power and economy. Im going to get under the car and start looking at any earthing points as this seems to have been talked about a bit.
See how i go
Old 02-17-2004, 17:24   #8 (permalink)

I had a problem with the transmission that didn't generate any fault codes (same as you said you had none), which appeared to be a loss of throttle position. This occurred after an extended period of driving, at a constant speed (across the nullabor actually). The symptoms were: Transmission reluctant to shift to a higher gear (especially at very light throttle), and delaying or doesn’t lock-up the converter. It was possible to manually select any gears, and the ‘fault’ occurred in either power or economy modes. I reset the throttle position, using the following procedure, and the "fault" was cleared. I think this is only valid for V8's.

With the engine at correct operating temperature, carry out the following:
(a) Allow engine to idle in ‘D’, with A/C off, for 60 seconds. This sets the closed throttle reference point for the ECU.
(b) Switch the engine off, but leave the ignition on. Hold the accelerator pedal to the floor for 60 seconds. This sets the wide open throttle position reference point for the ECU.

These are sort of similar to your symptoms, but either way, it only takes a couple of minutes to do, and costs nothing, so maybe try this, as it worked for me!
EL1XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 13:30   #9 (permalink)

Thanks, i will give it a try and see how i go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline