Nine inch diff dramas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2004, 07:00   #1 (permalink)
In Bits

frown Nine inch diff dramas

Hi,
Well after deciding I need need a better diff ratio for the falcon instead of 2.92 BW, I thought I might see if I can finish the nine inch diff I have had laying in the shed for about 6 or 7 years. This was a tired XC lsd disc brake diff and when stripped down it had a knackered hemisphere from one of the short planetary gears welding to its shaft and spinning in the housing. Well the other day in the trading post there was couple of 3.5:1 diff centres so I thought perfect! Well I bought one of a guy for 400 dollars which looked ok, as much as one can tell without pulling the rotten things down. I have just stripped it down and what do I find? The same thing! Knackered hemispere! So what I would like to know is there somewhere I can buy a good hemisphere? I'm in Brisbane. Is this a regular thing to occur in nine inch diffs? Or am I better off buying a detroit loker type diff ( apparently there are some improved versions around now) and having it fitted?
Thanks Corey
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2004, 01:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: Nine inch diff dramas

If you can locate a hemishere you will be back in action. You should have a spare siezed pin/spider gear from the bits and pieces. Diff shops can sell them new anyway, Motive gear still makes them I believe.

In regards to the hemisphere try to source a single wheeler or an LSD. The single wheeler (4 spider gear) only needs a lip machined off in a lathe to be able to be used. When you compare them side by side it is obvious.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 00:31   #3 (permalink)

Try QPAAC at Burpengary.He quoted me $225 for a complete new nodular iron hemisphere.That is NEW too,not 2nd hand.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 02:20   #4 (permalink)

i have other ratios if u need them.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline