no trans dipstick? el falcon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2005, 02:16   #1 (permalink)

no trans dipstick? el falcon

ey guys im a holden person i be honust but a old ford person... in other words i prefer newer holdens like vb-vn but love xw,xys
so please.. no flames:)

so being the newbie i am with new cars... i looked in my old mans car as he just bought it and he has no transmission dipstick... is there a way to find out how much oil the tranny has.. its a falcon sapphire 6 cylinder 4 speed auto

thanx for the help guys
horze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2005, 03:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: no trans dipstick? el falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by horze
ey guys im a holden person i be honust but a old ford person... in other words i prefer newer holdens like vb-vn but love xw,xys
so please.. no flames:)

so being the newbie i am with new cars... i looked in my old mans car as he just bought it and he has no transmission dipstick... is there a way to find out how much oil the tranny has.. its a falcon sapphire 6 cylinder 4 speed auto

thanx for the help guys
They don't have dipsticks, they have a check plug in the side of the transmission (driver's side, towards the rear of trans, 16mm head). To check the level, warm up the trans, remove plug & check level. It should be just below the plug hole. Mal.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 23:43   #3 (permalink)

Don't know about the wisdom of this but ford made their more modern trans as a sealed unit. Thus no dip stick. Official word from ford is that they don't require servicing. Personally I don't think this is wise, anything that needs oil to lube it should have it changed at intervals. Mine is a 99 AU1 XR8 and yep no dipstick. But when the km's get higher it will get the trans flushed regardless of manufacturer confidence.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 23:54   #4 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

the reasoning behind it is that the oil recommended for the gearbox has a dye in it that gets burnt easily the oil is still fine just the dye goes black, when regular joe public checks his oil level he freaks out and goes back to the manufacturer with his "stuffed gearbox". so therefor ford said stuff it and no more dipstick
Old 05-25-2005, 05:55   #5 (permalink)

fair enough

see the thing i think the tranny leaks so were gonna have to give it abit more oil what oil; would gthey take just regular tranny oil?

new holdens like this too?
horze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 14:02   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horze
fair enough

see the thing i think the tranny leaks so were gonna have to give it abit more oil what oil; would gthey take just regular tranny oil?

new holdens like this too?
The EL auto's take a special trans fluid for the 4-speed auto's. Different brands have different names for the fluid. I think the specs are 95LE (Borg Warner 4-speed). Mal.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline