Ford Forums banner

occasional shudder in C4

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Rhett 
#1 ·
XY wagon 302W C4 (filler in case)

over the past couple of weeks I'm periodically (maybe once a day) getting a weird slipping, shuddering sensation in first usually before the shift to second. It's only brief and sometimes feels like I've just driven over some railway tracks. Otherwise the C4 feels good and shifts firmly.

Is this a sign that it's getting tired and needs attention?

Expensive fix?

Recommendations?

Timeframe?

#4 ·
It hasn't done it for a week or so. The other day I was sitting at a red light and had the trans in Park, then when I took off it had a slight slip/shudder.

The shifts are normally quite firm. Maybe the fluid is low, but I don't trust what the dipstick is telling me 'cos it may not be the right one for the case filler C4.

The XY is 34 years old, but that doesn't mean the trans is the same one that it was born with.

#5 ·
Rhett said:
XY wagon 302W C4 (filler in case)

over the past couple of weeks I'm periodically (maybe once a day) getting a weird slipping, shuddering sensation in first usually before the shift to second. It's only brief and sometimes feels like I've just driven over some railway tracks. Otherwise the C4 feels good and shifts firmly.
At a guess, it is about to die a horrible death.

The "second gear" planetry set has too much end float on the planetry gears, and they are walking too far. The will try and grab hold of the "other" gear set when you change into second, and the shudder is the clutch plates slipping as you engage two gears.

Timeframe: depends on how you drive it.

I used to keep them as souvenoirs of C4s I have killed, but the novelty wore off after a while. The later ones are better, as they have torrington bearings instead of thrust plates.

I am suprised that none of the C9/10 "experts" have told you what the problem is. Nothing like a genuine problem to sort out the know-alls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.