Opinions on switchable Shift Kits - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2004, 00:32   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Opinions on switchable Shift Kits

I'm looking at getting thr SSK kit. For those that have purchased and fitted them, what are your thoughts on them? Did you encounter any problems while fitting it? Have you encountered any problems with anything since fitting it? How harsh are the changes? I like a second and third gear chirpy! I would also expect times to drop as a result of faster shifts.

Thanks in advance,
Cobra.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2004, 20:47   #2 (permalink)
djr

Re: Opinions on switchable Shift Kits

i built one and put it in my ef xr6. Its heaps more fun, and the gear changes are a fair bit more harsh. Its chirps from 1st to 2nd pretty often but i havent had a chance to let it loose out on the road yet since im only 17 and on my L's (5 weeks to go to i get those P's:):) ). You mite get a half a second off your times. It was pretty easy to fit considering i really have no knowledge of auto electrics at all (I was shitting myself thinking i would blow up my car), but its pretty self explanatory. I have had no problems with it yet, thank god and I love it cause it really just slams through the gears. Luckily it has a switch though, the novelty wears off especially when your driving slow.
Cheers.
djr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 21:20   #3 (permalink)
now with EF power!

They are a great thing. Personally ive never had any problems but i know that ignition has killed his auto (coincidence?)

Read these threads

BTR Electronic 4 speed Shift Kits

Shift Kits. Are They Any Good?

Mods List:
Kenwood head deck, Rockford Fosgate Punch Sub and Punch Amp....and hubcaps!!

My Gallery!
Proud TQE Operator
danege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 00:54   #4 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Thanks for the links danege. It doesn't appear that there is many problems encountered after fitting these kits. However it does seem that depending on how often you run the stage II part, that it could cause premature wear on driveline components. I would certainly hope the diff would hold up. If I had to get under and replace a set of uni's abit earlier, what the hell! Uni's arent much anyway.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline