opinions on the T5 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2004, 00:25   #1 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

opinions on the T5

will be test driving a few AU2 XR8 utes later in the month and really want a manual so i wanted to get peoples opinion on the the T5 box

ive heard quite alot of comments on them being quite notchy and hard to use is this so?

are there good ones and bad ones or is it something you just have to deal with with any of the manual falcons (never driven one)?

any opinions would be good thanks

Old 01-06-2004, 00:36   #2 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Re: opinions on the T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalKeen
will be test driving a few AU2 XR8 utes later in the month and really want a manual so i wanted to get peoples opinion on the the T5 box

ive heard quite alot of comments on them being quite notchy and hard to use is this so?

are there good ones and bad ones or is it something you just have to deal with with any of the manual falcons (never driven one)?

any opinions would be good thanks
I had a T5 in the AU and it was quite okay.

The T5 i've now got in the BA is nothing short of a PIECE OF SHIT. Whether its the clutch or the transmission (i believe its the transmission). I get gear selection block outs ALL THE TIME. This means that I, for example, when sitting in neutral, engage the clutch and go for first or reverse and its like there is a piece of metal in the way and the gear will just not engage.

This happens about 5 - 10 times a day. However i've been advised that Ford's number of blockouts deemed acceptable was 5 block outs per 25 shifts. Now when I had it evaluated by a BTR engineer, the way he drove the car was pointless. The tested methodology showed nothing to do with real every day driving and easily geared towards passing a box rather than failing one (well dur, commercial company out to make money with a crap a product as possible).

I will never EVER get another car with one of these transmissions and the result of lack of concern to me really points me to never buying another Ford car again (Ford Australia or Ford Worldwide).

Sorry, something to get off my chest :)

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 00:42   #3 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

thanks ian, sorry to hear about that

i guess thats an advantage of me being able to test drive i guess

hope you get it sorted
Old 01-06-2004, 00:50   #4 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf

the t5, i have in my inline six ea, was very very notchy, i put some dextron 3 oil with a nulon g70 additive, it solved the notchy ness strait away.

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:21   #5 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

I've had 6 different T5's over the last few years ranging from Stock I6's to V8's to worked I6's. One of the first things I do is dump the oil and put Penrite Extra lite gear oil in.
I can't say I've had any problems with shifting in any of them.
I wouldn't say they are the best feeling box around, but there easy enough to use.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:09   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Ok having driven a range of Falcons with T5 gearbox's i can firstly say that they are quite strong box's and will cop a fair bit of abuse and will last well into the 250,000km mark provided one changes the oil regularly with a good light oil as Soxx mentioned. I'm lead to believe that the Castrol TransMax Z is the way to go. At the moment i'm running Mobil Dextron with Nulon G70 in my XR6.

Another thing i find with the T5 is that when they are new (0-40,000km) they seem to shift quite ordinary. Ian this could be your problem as i recalled our EF had the same problem when new. Even selecting reverse or 1st gear from stationary can prove very difficult. However after the km's on the T5 they seem to run in and shift quality improves quite alot with good shifts.

One thing i've noticed with the falcon clutch's (especially in my XR6) is that the factory 140mm pedal travel is waaay to long and i've found myself missing gears big time under heavy acceleration. With a short clutch uptake
(80mm or so) gear shifts are much more positive.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Gary.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)

Last edited by XR_Strider_GuY; 01-06-2004 at 02:11.
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:33   #7 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

thanks for this guys
keep em coming

be nice if we could all agree on the one type of oil though
Old 01-06-2004, 03:47   #8 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Quote:
However i've been advised that Ford's number of blockouts deemed acceptable was 5 block outs per 25 shifts.
you have to be bloody joking!!!!! 0 blockouts in 1000 shifts should be the rule!!

thats the biggest joke i have ever heard! provided the clutch is actually releasing properly and its an actual problem with the box (i reckon its clutch related though) the best thing i could suggest for you would be to thrash the crap out of the box - it will either run in faster and get better or it will break, in which case you get a new one, problem solved.

my T5 is about 155,000km old, for the first 110,000km it was driven pretty easily, (the previous owner was a bit of a skirt) but since i got the car i have been giving it a workout, both on the street and on the dragstrip and circuit, with no probs at all so far.

and just to add to the confusion, i and a few of my associates have found that Dexron III auto fluid makes them shift quite sweetly...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 21:13   #9 (permalink)
Serving Defect #3

I have driven a few t5's in a few different cars, i found the t5z far and away the best of the lot with all the other feeling a bit vague on the shifts especially 2-3. I also found all the other t5 boxes to be noisey with a distinct whirring noise. Don't know for sure but I think late Au's get the t5z anyway.

I was using dexron 3 in my old t5 before it blew it was still noisey, I now use castrol TransmaxZ in the new box and it is smooth as, noise free and the 2-3 shift is easy as, this was the fluid that Mal Wood recommended, it about $60 for 5 litres.

The new box was real tight for about the first 5000 or so, but since then it has freed up somewhat with no issues selecting reverse or 1st.

The old box blew because it was under revving in 5th gear(below 2000rpm) It split the cluster housing and dumped the entire load of oil, which essentially fried the internals.
The new box has different ratios which ensures the motor is revving over 2000 in 5th at 100kmh as the old ratios had it revving at about 1850-1900

I have also adjusted my clutch for a slightly shorter travel, it certainly makes for easier shifting.

Last edited by fordfan351; 01-09-2004 at 21:16.
fordfan351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 21:32   #10 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
you have to be bloody joking!!!!! 0 blockouts in 1000 shifts should be the rule!!

thats the biggest joke i have ever heard! provided the clutch is actually releasing properly and its an actual problem with the box (i reckon its clutch related though) the best thing i could suggest for you would be to thrash the crap out of the box - it will either run in faster and get better or it will break, in which case you get a new one, problem solved.
Yes i'm with you in regards to the block out ruling. When I found that out I felt like driving the car clean through the dealers workshop and say oh sorry a gear block out caused me to be distracted and I missed the braking and thus had an accident. :)

But yes.. the gearbox doesn't seem to mind abuse, however it hasn't fixed the issue that I still get first and reverse gear block outs all the time. I'm going to suggest that they change the gear box fluid when its next going in for a service (2 weeks away) as they are going to investigate the clutch in amongst other things.

I love driving a manual, however have such a crap shifter really spoils the entire experience. And no, stuff you auto drivers I don't want to drive an auto as I prefer the involvement of a manual.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline