Overdrive's for C4's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2004, 04:09   #1 (permalink)

Overdrive's for C4's

I have turned up the following supplier of an overdrive module=> http://www.gearvendors.com/
.. that bolts to the rear of an auto and effectively gives you an overdrive ratio, but also gives you split shifts between the gears.

So a C4 ends up with 6 ratios: 1, 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3 and an overdrive. Sounds like the best of both worlds and you could get an older muscle car performing like the new factory performance vehicles - great acceleration AND economy!

Apparantly these units can take the grunt of a modded 8.

Has anyone out there had experience with this manufacturer before I order one?

Old 05-23-2004, 01:26   #2 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

Re: Overdrive's for C4's

they get used in motor homes. Most have 500bhp v8's and bulk toqrue. Go for it.

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 18:54   #3 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

That looks pretty good. The only problem, I don't think these things are cheap (anyone know how much?). If you want an overdrive, an AOD 4 speed auto would work out a lot cheaper.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:19   #4 (permalink)

Yeah it's not a thing to do on a budget. About $2200 US for the kit but I'm prepared to pay it.

Apparantly they take upto 1200HP, so I've made my mind up and am going ahead with plans to fit one. Just been waiting on the company to get back to me about a local or atleast Australian distributor.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:07   #5 (permalink)
Another Ford Driver

The old volvo pumper in the local fire brigade is set up like that, it works pretty good.
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 00:31   #6 (permalink)

As much as I think that we would all love a 6 speed auto, from my reading of how these ones work, it would be a royal pain in the ass to drive. From what I read, you would start out in first and then engage the overdrive (for "first-over"), then change into second and at the same time disengage the overdrive (otherwise you'll go straight into "second-over"). Lots of changing gears and pushing buttons going on.

If your only looking for an overdrive, the AOD would definitely be the way to go, although they aren't necessarily cheap either (I was quoted $2400 for a fully rebuilt AOD with B&M clutch packs and all the necessary mods for a strong 351 - another $600 to fit it and setup the change patterns / kickback properly)
spaceman347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:39   #7 (permalink)

What is the physical size difference between an AOD and a C4?
Has anyone made this swap? I wouldnt mind overdrive in my Capri, tunnel space is a premium though.
ClevoCapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:07   #8 (permalink)

spaceman if drag racers in the States are using them, then surely it can't be that difficult to change gears. But I would set it up in my application with the overdrive unit only kicking in in top gear after a certain speed - they talk about that on the web page too ie not using the split gears function.

Can AOD's be made as strong as a C4, I thought they couldn't???
Old 05-28-2004, 23:09   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKEXD
spaceman if drag racers in the States are using them, then surely it can't be that difficult to change gears. But I would set it up in my application with the overdrive unit only kicking in in top gear after a certain speed - they talk about that on the web page too ie not using the split gears function.

Can AOD's be made as strong as a C4, I thought they couldn't???
You've probably got a point, when I first read the website, it just sounded annoying, not that the idea isn't tempting, although AUD$3000 is too much for me at the moment.

I've no idea about the strength of the AOD, I half-heartedly looked into them a little while back when I had a desire for the overdrive, but then the price stopped that desire (maybe if my c4 dies I'll look into it again)
spaceman347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 17:09   #10 (permalink)
Whats traction?

It sounds like a lot of money.... the AOD's actually come from the factory as the setup you want to run.

I've heard of some very serious cars running AOD's in the US, even supercharged mustangs running in the 9's so I reckon if they're the same as C4's (ie can be tough as if built right!).

Here's some good info i've found in the past:
http://www.baumannengineering.com/pguide.htm
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline