Peddle box - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2005, 00:32   #1 (permalink)

Peddle box

I purchased a Ed falcon 5spd a couple of weeks ago the clutch pedal dropped to the floor last night.. After a very close examination this morning i discovered that it has been previously welded and a very poor job at that.

now i have pulled out every thing i needed to (including my hair) in order to remove this poorly enginered peddal box ( it seems to be about .8mm thick )
I can reinforce and re weld properly including running the pivot through to the other side just like the brake pedal pivot but better as i have a friend who has a lathe and mig / tig welder.
or should i just hand over $250.00 for a new one and install that.

the firewall seems fine

also Im told that the reason this has occured is because of a bearing with in the gearbox and that i should replace that as well and that part is about $130.00
could you please inform me which part that is please
ED FUTURA 5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2005, 01:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: Peddle box

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED FUTURA 5spd
I purchased a Ed falcon 5spd a couple of weeks ago the clutch pedal dropped to the floor last night.. After a very close examination this morning i discovered that it has been previously welded and a very poor job at that.

now i have pulled out every thing i needed to (including my hair) in order to remove this poorly enginered peddal box ( it seems to be about .8mm thick )
I can reinforce and re weld properly including running the pivot through to the other side just like the brake pedal pivot but better as i have a friend who has a lathe and mig / tig welder.
or should i just hand over $250.00 for a new one and install that.

the firewall seems fine

also Im told that the reason this has occured is because of a bearing with in the gearbox and that i should replace that as well and that part is about $130.00
could you please inform me which part that is please
the peddle boxes are a common fault with these vehicles,i have replaced about 10 units,if you have not got a heavy duty clutch the std replacement peddle box will be fine,it is just poor engineerig on fords behalf,fords have sufered this problem for the last 20 years the only thing that makes it worse is that from ea on,they put a extra bracket up behind the dash with 2 nasty to get at bolts.
also check your clutch cable is not siezing up,and sometimes the thrust bearings grind up the nosecone of the gearbox jamming on the shaft,and loading up the pedal box.
but these units mainly fail from poor engineering design
if you intend to keep the car for another 100k beef your one up
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline