Problems with 5 Speed box in BA XR6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2004, 00:07   #1 (permalink)

Problems with 5 Speed box in BA XR6

A little while ago I read a post that referred to a problem with the 5 speed box in BA's and changing into fifth gear under load, which resulted in a grating of the gears.

My XR is now exhibiting this problem everytime and am wanting to be prearmed when I approach my dealer about fixing it. Can anyone out there direct to the post?
coombesplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 00:38   #2 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Re: Problems with 5 Speed box in BA XR6

The mums XR6 Turbo does exactly that. She'll be cruising on the freeway and go to shift it into 5th and the gearbox will go CRUNCH! and/or wont let her engage into 5th.
Its been to the mechanics and the gearbox has been replaced and prob has gone away for the time being. They didnt bother explaining the problem and since it was company car the mum didnt really care. Ive heard of other people havin the same problems so dont hesitate to demand a new gearbox dammit!

Needless to say, the car has scared my mum off manual Falcons lol, and when you see your dealer let them know its happened to others. And please let us know whatever the cause is. Sorry that wasnt much help...

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 19:45   #3 (permalink)

Here is a response from another forum

Anyone having problems with their 5 speed crunching under load when changing into 5th should contact their ford dealer for a warranty fix. Improved, larger blocker ring for the syncro works a treat, cleans the whole box up. Thumbs up.
Thumbs down though from the BTR dude who said there was nothing wrong when driving like Miss Daisy.
coombesplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 15:29   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coombesplo
... Improved, larger blocker ring for the syncro works a treat, cleans the whole box up. Thumbs up. ..
Anyone got a pic of the new and the old? I would love to see that. To get a larger blocker ring in will require a larger hub, which will not fit in the extension housing. Someone is pulling your leg. Ben.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:15   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Hi All,

I have this problem as well T5 manual in my AUII XR6 under load say accelerating in 4th to say 120km/h under load and changing into fifth it crunch's abit. Can someone confirm if Ford do have a fix for this problem.

I have contacted a reputable gearbox place and they have advised me that often they will sand blast the 5th gear syncro (deglaze) to make it bite harder underload.

I don't want to rockup to Ford and get given the runaround and sayin "oh theres nothing wrong with yr gearbox blah blah blah", when clearly there is. Hmm might print this thread out and show them.

Cheers,
Gary.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline