Problems removing the auto - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2003, 01:53   #1 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

mad Problems removing the auto

Hey all, just tried taking the auto out today, and all I can say about it is after a day of getting practically no where, I think I'm about ready to put the shit on a trailer and tow it to a mechanic.

I must admit I started late in the day, but after spending a few hours trying to get the top starter motor bolt off (there is no space in there it's a nightmare), I realised how impossible it is to get to the upper bellhousing bolts. There is no space, no access, and I can barely even see these top bolts. How in the hell do you manage to get the stupid things off? Can someone explain this to me because I'm confused as buggery and I have to somehow manage to take this tranny out and put the T5 in by tomorrow afternoon. Can someone tell me the trick to it or the procedure for taking this crap out? PLEASE GOD SOMEONE MUST KNOW!!!!

I was on the verge of pushing the crap off the jack stands and setting it alight, but not before I arrange for someone to shoot me in the head after doing so.

HELP!!!

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2003, 02:29   #2 (permalink)
No longer around

Re: Problems removing the auto

would it be impossible for ya to pull out the motor/auto together, pull hte 2 apart, then Put the manny on teh motor and slip them back in?

thats the easy way.
although scott pulled karls auto out and manual in with the V8 stil in. karl may be able to shed some more light.

me personally, i'd pull the donk/box out.

hope you get it all sorted

Last edited by MADNC_8; 11-29-2003 at 02:32.
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:46   #3 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

I can't help you with advice, but just wanted to say good luck with it anyway :) I'm hoping to do the manual conversion to my LTD some time next year.
cenithx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 03:01   #4 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

I've posted this same thread in the tech section, and a few people have said to undo the rear tranny mount, and tilt the engine and gearbox back, and apparently there is enough room to get 2 foot long extension bars in there to undo the bolts. So yeah, hopefully I'll manage...

But keep the suggestions coming guys!

Cheers all

Alex
Old 11-29-2003, 03:09   #5 (permalink)

sorry can't help {I don't have a gun} LOL
you could try droping the engine mounts off & moving the whole thing forward a couple of inches
Old 11-29-2003, 03:16   #6 (permalink)
No longer around

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED GLI V8
sorry can't help {I don't have a gun} LOL
haha
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 03:42   #7 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

The top starter motor bolt is a down right prick!! You just have to battle away with that. The best way to get at the bellhousing bolts is indeed to undo the crossmember bolts and drop the box down. Just make sure you support the end of it with a jack and lower it slowly so you don't bugger the engine mounts.

It's a fun job isn't it!! lol. Just wait till you get to the torque convertor and driveplate bolts! Good luck dude. It may be a lot of stuffing around, but deffinately worth it in the end!

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 03:45   #8 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

Why, what should I wait for with the torque converter bolts? More hassles/heartbreak/frustration/murder/blood/death/destruction/pain in the ass?

Alex
Old 11-29-2003, 03:50   #9 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Nah man, they're not that bad, but they can be a bit awkward. You have to jam something in the ring gear to stop the crank turning while you undo them. I've found the best way is to use a ratchet and give it one sharp tap to loosen it. That way it usually breaks the bolt free without turning the crank.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 05:02   #10 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I reckon the quickeast way would be to undo the engine mounts, exhauust where it bolts to the cat and lift the engine with your crane then let it tilt back.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline