Problems removing the auto - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2003, 01:56   #1 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

mad Problems removing the auto

Hey all, just tried taking the auto out today, and all I can say about it is after a day of getting practically no where, I think I'm about ready to put the shit on a trailer and tow it to a mechanic.

I must admit I started late in the day, but after spending a few hours trying to get the top starter motor bolt off (there is no space in there it's a nightmare), I realised how impossible it is to get to the upper bellhousing bolts. There is no space, no access, and I can barely even see these top bolts. How in the hell do you manage to get the stupid things off? Can someone explain this to me because I'm confused as buggery and I have to somehow manage to take this tranny out and put the T5 in by tomorrow afternoon. Can someone tell me the trick to it or the procedure for taking this crap out? PLEASE GOD SOMEONE MUST KNOW!!!!

I was on the verge of pushing the crap off the jack stands and setting it alight, but not before I arrange for someone to shoot me in the head after doing so.

By the way it's an EA S2...

HELP!!!

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2003, 02:02   #2 (permalink)
known as tibbo

Re: Problems removing the auto

you need a flexi joint and a foot long extension bar
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:08   #3 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

no you dont need that !

get a really long extension actually get 2 of them and undo the bolts from the back of the gear box! Use a jack to lift the front of the engine about 8cm that will bring the bellhousing down a bit so from the tailshaft you can point the long extension all the way to the bolt!

lateral thinking mate :)

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:11   #4 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

I'm sorry about this but can you please explain it in a little more detail? Do I just somehow shove this extension bar up above the tranny because it seems to me like there isn't enough room... Should I drop the back tranny mounting or something similar?

Please people I need in depth explanations, I feel dumber after today...

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:18   #5 (permalink)
known as tibbo

yes you remove the rear mount and the box will tilt downwards... then you will be able to see the bolts.. if you have a flexi head use it...if you dont it no biggie

socket --flexi head--extension(s)--rachet...
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:20   #6 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

ok, here we go:

take tail shaft out
undo the 3 bolts from back of gearbox (near yoke)
put a jack with a piece of wood on top (small) and point it to the harmonic balancer or anywhere on the front of the engine and lift it up about 5-6 cm (your engine mounts will be OK if you are scared just undo their bolts)
get a really long extension bar and from back of gearbox (yoke) slide it all the way to the bolt, it works trust me I just done it yesterday in my EF.
Undo the top 2 but not fully
Undoo the rest but not fully
support the gearbox with something (heavy bugger!)
Undo the top bolts completely and the lower ones and slide gearbox out

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline