Ford Forums banner

Pros/Cons Of A Mini-Spool Diff

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  gm dstroya 
#1 ·
As the topic suggests, what are the pros/cons of putting a mini-spooler on my 94 EF Falcon?
It's for street use, but also the odd 1/4 mile at the motorplex and the odd race against rice from the traffic lights. To be honest I know very little about them, so a little extra information would be nice :)

Nick.

#3 ·
Mini Spools lock the axles together.

Plus: Good traction, wild burnouts when you do lose traction.

Minus: Incredibly dangerous in the wet, makes one tyre 'skip' while turning in the dry (read cop magnet), chews tyers out, makes parking the car at the local shops a painful and tedious task (doubly so if you have a manual).

As a bonus they're also illigal as WBT56 has pointed out.

Hope this helps.

#6 ·
Can someone explain how they work?

No slip diff pretty much?

#7 ·
Yep, no slip diff.

Same as welding the spider gears up (otherwise known as a CIG-Locker) the axles are forced to turn at the same speed under all circumstances... or until something breaks. Unlike a single spinner where both axles are able to turn at any speed they need to, LSD's which allow a degree of slip depending on the circumstances and clutch pack/cone setup or detriot lockers which act like a single spinner while cornering and a spool in a straight line (fun in the wet when they change from disengaged to locked!).

Mini spools replace the spider gear assembly, full spools replace the carrier completely (i.e. the ring gear bolts directly to the spool and the axles just slot in either side). Full spools with billet axles like TIK4D's setup are close to indestructable.

#8 ·
They are great. I've run one going on ten years on the street, in the wet, anywhere, exept very smooth cement. The tyres squeel so much on smooth cement like carparks and service stations . I would of done 50000 or more km with one, and never done a diff or axel. I have allways run an auto and 3500 stall, so that may make a difference. I run standard ford 28 spine axels too. Really, if you love burnouts and treating a car like its your enemys, they are a must, but daily driver street car/racing, a good lsd is probably better.

#9 ·
get ya selfs a tru trac locker for the borgie or a detroit locker for the 9 inch.

i got a tru trac like locker in the ea out back,,,,its rated to 900+hp. its been drived from nascar racing, with an adjustable bias to left or right locking. when i first installed it there was 100% bias to right.. meaning it wouldnt open wheel round right hand corners.. after some adjustment, she'll brillant now... 100% tratable, and safe in the wet

and is basicly a mechanical lsd. its noisey yes. but has 100% lock.

realy tho unless ya pushing 280+rwkw a properly set up lsd is all you need

cheers.joe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.