A question about transmission coolers. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2003, 15:23   #1 (permalink)

A question about transmission coolers.

I am going to add a transmission cooler to my EF Wgn. First I looked at a generic model from supercheap for $85, then a factory add on tow pack model from Ford spares $139. The Ford cooler is seriously one quarter the size of the generic. I realise this is an add on to the cooler which sits in the radiator. Is the Ford cooler good enough and sufficient, also as a kit the mounting brackets etc are included. Or should I go for the much larger and less expensive generic. Would the larger model possibly be a nightmare to fit as well because I can't see a lot of spare room in front of the radiator.
Thanks for your thoughts.
ShaneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2003, 16:35   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Size isn't the real measure of the performance of the cooler. The Ford units are a fin and plate type which provide much better heat transfer than the coil type marketed by supercheap etc.

I have been towing a two tonne plus trailer in my EB and had no probs so far, however the oil temp is still getting high. On the EA I went to the Ford wrecker and bought the Ford oil cooler and all fittings for around $40. However, it will need new hoses when you fit to your car.

My solution is going to be fitting two (in series) Ford coolers as this allows a larger open area of cool air flow to the a/c condensor.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline