Ford Forums banner

Rear End Vibration

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  JLB 
#1 ·
Hi:

I'm the new kid on the block.

I have a 1997 E-350 Superwagon, one of the first V-10's built. It has had numerous issues but has amazingly made it to 135,000 miles.

At 18000 miles the rear end went out (bearings I believe) and the pinion bearings recently went out again. The dealer said because the nut had worked loose and the slop that created tore up the bearing. That has been fixed ($795).

Now I get a signficant vibration ONLY WHEN THE VAN IS COASTING OR ENGINE BRAKING. It is most notable when I crest a hill with the cruise on. At that time there is a distinctive power-train shudder until the engine powers the vehicle. It feels like it's coming from the rear. I can similate the vibration manually by backing off on the accelerator.

I just downloaded ALLDATA TSBs, listing 122 through July, 2003. I see several of the other issues I've had (never corrected), but nothing about a specific rear end vibration.

It's time for an oil change so I'd like to address this at the same time.

Any clues?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.