Rebuild or covert to manual - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2004, 20:23   #1 (permalink)
My Lady

Rebuild or covert to manual

1987 XF falcon 3 sp Auto trans is playing up it'll cost $950 to rebuild the trans or $650 to get a manual conversion Kit from Aussie Autos and hopefully do the work myself what do you's think and any ideas on what manual conversion kit to get or anything related?
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2004, 05:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: Rebuild or covert to manual

Hi there Lady, personaly Id stick with the auto the change over is alot of mucking around clutches wear out then theres just the inconvienience of having to change gears .Its a bitch of a job then youll be driving through town[change change change change change change change change etc] wondering why the hell you went to all the trouble and wishing you still had your auto but of course thats just my opinon. cheers.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:24   #3 (permalink)
i bet i can fit in there

well, i think that if u think you're confident and skilled enough to do the conversion then go for it. (if u want manual)

but that $950 for the auto rebuild - thats done for you yes? and u'll know its done properly, can get a warranty for the work as well etc...

up to you tho, of course!
Blach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 16:40   #4 (permalink)

i did the conversion and have never looked back...

yea, its cost me in fines, but hey, its great fun!!!

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 16:51   #5 (permalink)
My Lady

Well part of the reason i thought of converting was for a bit more grunt i realize its a cruizer but it would be nice to give it some grunt every now and then any idea's if i stuck with auto?
Old 11-06-2004, 16:51   #6 (permalink)

The 3 speed auto's not such a bad thing if thats what you want.

The manual conversion will really change the charater of the car heaps and if thats what you want do it. There will be lots of little niggling bits to fix as a rule with conversion kits not being complete or suitable for every model.

Its also a bit of work. If you're mechanicly minded and done some mech work before as this wouldn't be a good first time project go for it.

Manuals are faster have more character etc.

Just consider the cost of all this and the value of the car too though. No point spending thousands on a car you will trade in a year or two. A manual won't be worth any more than an auto in good nick.
Old 11-06-2004, 17:28   #7 (permalink)
My Lady

In no way am i machanicaly minded i just reed stickys auto to manual guide and thought well that doesnt look so hard i can do that and as iv reed through a few forums and found the problems people have,
yeah the rebuild is looking good 2 me lol
guess i may have got a bit to cocky
Old 11-06-2004, 17:59   #8 (permalink)
heard it before!

depends how long you plan to own the car, if not that long a second hand one might be the go,if you stay Auto and plan to keep the car forever like? i'd look for a C4 6 cyl box(rare in australia ALSO, came in XD faifmont ghia)they are VERY strong and seem to make a difference power wise(maybe lower first gear)
the manual conversion isn't that hard the hardest part and the reason i will be reluctant to do again, is the pedal box(very hard to do without taking dash out, dash takes about an hour unless you've put in a different stero,cruise and other stuff)
if going manual a T5 out of 87 falcon would be the best available that would bolt staight in(rare even in australia)
the borgwarner 40 as your car should have is quite strong but should be fitted with a decent trans cooler for added insurance $900 sounds expensive to me but i havent ever had one rebuilt(second hand always, i never have the car long enough)
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline