Replace gear selector button or entire transmission.
Ford spare parts pricing strikes again. The other day I was taking a sharp left hand turn on to the gateway arterial and was shocked by a large bright object hurtling across the cabin from left to right in front of me. A couple of seconds later I found that it was the chromed gear selector button which had snapped off, dislodged and flung out. After a week or two now of mutilating my left thumb inside the selector to change gears I decided to rock up to ford expecting to pay about $50 for a new button. No !Gn|T|0n, don’t be stupid… you need to buy the entire handle assemble that attaches to the selector shaft.
“Hmmm, Fairmont Ghia” the parts guys says…
“That’s the leather one isn’t it”… (I cringe)
pffft! Trade price wasn’t much cheaper either, nor was the normal Gli selector.
It got me thinking… My box is in need of a service, that is an entire flush which can be costly. What I have currently is a BTR87LE (the V8 version) with 162,000ks on it in a working condition. I also have the wood grain selector surround and what’s left of the selector which may be worth something small still. What are my options?
1. Leave the thing with no button (don’t like the sound of that)
2. Wait for the auto to die after keeping up the services on it then get another one (I can’t remember what a recoed auto is… $1200? $1800?)… then I still have to get the handle and I still have to keep it serviced. The hundreds add up!
3. Get a recoed box now? (I’ll still need to service the new one and will still need to buy the handle but may redeem some costs on the old box).
4. Wait for the auto to die then go T5 conversion (conversion is more costly but would be a performance upgrade and much more fun. May have trouble with resale value????)
5. Do T5 conversion now and sell current box as it’s still working, just in need of a service (don’t need to buy handle, get the use of the T5 now rather than waiting, regain some costs by selling current box.) How much would my 97LE be worth? They are rare aren’t they?
My head is spinning but now would be the time to make a call on it I think. What are your thoughts. I’m not looking so much for “Yeah go for the T5 it’s so much fun” type replies… I know that it would be a lot of fun already, I’m more interested in thoughts on cost analysis, resale value, on going costs, parts availability etc.
Many thanks as always.