Replace gear selector button or entire transmission. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2004, 16:43   #1 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Replace gear selector button or entire transmission.

Ford spare parts pricing strikes again. The other day I was taking a sharp left hand turn on to the gateway arterial and was shocked by a large bright object hurtling across the cabin from left to right in front of me. A couple of seconds later I found that it was the chromed gear selector button which had snapped off, dislodged and flung out. After a week or two now of mutilating my left thumb inside the selector to change gears I decided to rock up to ford expecting to pay about $50 for a new button. No !Gn|T|0n, don’t be stupid… you need to buy the entire handle assemble that attaches to the selector shaft.

“Hmmm, Fairmont Ghia” the parts guys says…

“That’s the leather one isn’t it”… (I cringe)

“$360”

pffft! Trade price wasn’t much cheaper either, nor was the normal Gli selector.

It got me thinking… My box is in need of a service, that is an entire flush which can be costly. What I have currently is a BTR87LE (the V8 version) with 162,000ks on it in a working condition. I also have the wood grain selector surround and what’s left of the selector which may be worth something small still. What are my options?

1. Leave the thing with no button (don’t like the sound of that)
2. Wait for the auto to die after keeping up the services on it then get another one (I can’t remember what a recoed auto is… $1200? $1800?)… then I still have to get the handle and I still have to keep it serviced. The hundreds add up!
3. Get a recoed box now? (I’ll still need to service the new one and will still need to buy the handle but may redeem some costs on the old box).
4. Wait for the auto to die then go T5 conversion (conversion is more costly but would be a performance upgrade and much more fun. May have trouble with resale value????)
5. Do T5 conversion now and sell current box as it’s still working, just in need of a service (don’t need to buy handle, get the use of the T5 now rather than waiting, regain some costs by selling current box.) How much would my 97LE be worth? They are rare aren’t they?
6. ?

My head is spinning but now would be the time to make a call on it I think. What are your thoughts. I’m not looking so much for “Yeah go for the T5 it’s so much fun” type replies… I know that it would be a lot of fun already, I’m more interested in thoughts on cost analysis, resale value, on going costs, parts availability etc.

Many thanks as always.
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2004, 17:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Replace gear selector button or entire transmission.

I think in the long run option 5 is the better choice.

I honestly dont believe that your car being a manual will change much of the resale value. A EL Fairmont Ghia, V8, Manual would be as rare as rocking horse shit!!!

The price I got to reco my Auto was $1900. All up I think the manual conversion cost a little over $2200. Well worth it in my opinion. I could have saved a little if I didnt get a new pedal box, and opted for the bolt on mod to the original pedal box, plus hours of pain in pulling the dash out and changeing it over.

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 05:09   #3 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

i really think you are over-servicing your boxes! they only need doing once every 40k at the absolute most! VT boxes are only due for their first service at 110,000km, and even then its just fluid and filter replacement, not a full flush.

so really, dont worry about flushing costs, they should only be a small part of the running costs of the car.

i would be ringing places asking for prices on either a) a rebuilt exchange auto or b)rebuilding your auto.

i really would love to see you in a T5 equipped Fairmont, so you me and OED666 can all slide out to the left in unison off the line, when the situation presents itself, but perhaps you will be happier with an auto.

resale value...i really have no idea there - i suppose it depends on the buyer as to how much you would get for it...i know i would pay extra for a manual!!!

tell you what - if you buy the manual, i can get pedal boxes and stuff for the right price, and i will put it all in for free :s6:

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:19   #4 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

I looked at fitting a BA shifter to the car today. It is not at all like the e-series one. The BA shifter houses a very flimsy looking plastic rod which is lifted up when you push the button. The e-series shifter houses a metal shaft which is pressed down upon selection. There goes that idea. It looks like I may have a chance of sticking the button back in with some super glue. A cheap fix perhaps. As for the "over servicing"... well the box shifts pretty harshly most of the time and I've found that servicing the life blood improves things. I don't know why it fouls up so quickly however.
Old 07-27-2004, 21:05   #5 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Maybe lifting off the woodgrain cover and changing the metal selector locker thingy could alleviate the button useage problem?

Say for example there is a "blocker" between each gear:

(View from side-on) __1__/\__2___/\__3___/\____etc

File/cut/grind the buggers away!

(View from side-on) __1______2______3_______

I guess the downside is knocking from D thru to R while cruising down the hwy...

Just an idea

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 21:49   #6 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

I do like the protection that the gates provide
Old 07-27-2004, 23:32   #7 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

LOL well I suppose it's there for a reason!

So how exactly has the chrome button snapped off? Can it be reattached, say with Krazy glue or something similar? Maybe a homejob fix is the way to go.

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:50   #8 (permalink)
BLitzer - Bitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Gn|T|0n
I found that it was the chromed gear selector button which had snapped off, dislodged and flung out.
Welcome to the E-series club....
would you like a blown head gasket and power windows that constantly jam whilst your here?

don't get the Leather Wrapped gear knob, go get the NL Fairlane one... it's got the same crome button, but not wrapped in leather, but heck of a load cheaper (got mine for $75-79 from fraud spare parts)
Old 07-29-2004, 06:24   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Gn|T|0n
I looked at fitting a BA shifter to the car today. It is not at all like the e-series one. The BA shifter houses a very flimsy looking plastic rod which is lifted up when you push the button. The e-series shifter houses a metal shaft which is pressed down upon selection. There goes that idea. It looks like I may have a chance of sticking the button back in with some super glue. A cheap fix perhaps. As for the "over servicing"... well the box shifts pretty harshly most of the time and I've found that servicing the life blood improves things. I don't know why it fouls up so quickly however.

Try using better quality synthetic fluid , TCI or TCE one of the two make good syn fluid. Could be gettin really hot often, that kill both fluid and box!!!
ltd351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 16:14   #10 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Where can you buy this stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline