In a rush to move my 92 explorer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 16:36   #1 (permalink)

In a rush to move my 92 explorer

ok, bought the truck from a guy, didn't tell me much other than it didn't drive. got it towed home and into the garage. When we were pushing it to move it it was easy to push in neutral backwards but heavier than a tank forwards. got talking to the guy later and he said that he was driving it to work and moved it to unload some things and when he went back to move it to park it, it wouldn't move. got me to thinking it was drive train related and it way have been the Transfer case. so i took the transfer case off and it was fine, then i thought it was the transmission so i bought a parts vehicle. after getting a parts vehicle that could move but not stop and a semi-good vehicle that could stop but not move i thought i was all set. 2 days later i had them apart and back together. still, nothing. so now ill list all I've done since then and all the problems i can think of.

Problems-

Gears won't engage - no gear will engage

Kickdown Cable - I've read this does something to make it engage, I'm accustomed to working on standards though so what it does astounds me ... doesn't move at all, either way can you explane what its supposed to do and how i can fix it if its broken?

Torque converter? - could it be that it needs to have fluid in it before you put it together? I compleately drained the tranny when i was taking them apart, by accident but i thought it could do with one anyways. since it wasn't working we took it off again and put it back on filled with fluid. but we put it on both sets of splines when we put it back on. were we only supposed to put it on the inner set? or both. because now the transmission seems to be stuck in park.

Torque converter/flywheel won't turn - like i sad is this because both sets of splines are engaged? because we cant turn the flywheel to access the other torque converter bolts.

Swapped or changed -

Tranny, transfer case and torque converter - their all from a vehicle that moved so i know they aren't the problem.

Main cpu - from the passenger side kicker panel, read that it controlled the tranny so i figured it may have been fried. since then the check engine light has gone to a check oil light and thats more appropriate as the oil level was severely low.

Transfer case control modual - from the back near the washer tank. thought the problem might have been with the transfer case somehow ... no clue, red light comes on now.

P.S.

Theres another electrical box in the middle of the floor under the dash, what does it do and is it important, along the same lines theres a small toggle switch under the dash at approximately the same place on the parts vehicle yet not on the other one .. it it after market or was it supposed to do something?
92posexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 15:15   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: In a rush to move my 92 explorer

It does sounds drive train related. Just a couple of questions. What have you done in regards to the transmission itself. Have you replaced it with the one from the other vehicle. If you have had the transmission out and another back in then did you remove the torque converter from the flywheel/flexplate or did you leave it bolted there when the trans was put back in. The converter should always be fitted correctly to the trans before bolting the trans back up. It is almost impossible to bolt the trans on properly and get it to work with the converter still bolted to the flywheel. It is very difficult to get all the splines to mate up as well as the notches to the trans oil pump drive unless you fit the converter to the trans first and it must be done properly.

I will also copy this to the Explorer section.

Last edited by Big Block Ford; 03-04-2008 at 15:16.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 22:12   #3 (permalink)

yes, the torque converter was also replaced with the one from the other vehicle. As far as i can tell the last time i put it together(with what I've read as a few no-no's, i put the torque converter in empty without any fluid in it and then filled the transmission without the engine running like it says somewhere else. it seems that the torque converter needs to be filled and the engine must be running before filling the transmission.) my dad was taking to a mechanic the other night and he said that if the torque converter was on too far it would make it so i couldn't turn the flywheel. its back in, with the torque converter filled but now we can only get the one bolt,,, I apologize if I'm a little confusing but Its been a long day.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:13   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

I am thinking your dad may have got it the wrong way round as the torque converter wont be able to go on too far and the problem can be if it has not gone on far enough. It must be fully located over the splines and then you need to turn the converter whislt continueing to push it to make sure it has located fully into the lugs of the transmission oil pump. If it is not fully located into the transmission then the converter will be too far forward and as you tighten the transmission housing up to the engine ,you will jam it agaisnt the flywheel and make it difficult to turn the engine over. If this is what has happend then it is possible you may have damaged the pump too. I would also not recommend starting the engine with no oil in the trans. You should half fill the trans according to the dip stick or put near to the required oil for the trans in it ,then start the engine and fill to the cold lvl ,if it has one on the dipstick, or warm it up and fill to the correct lvl. The lvl is usually read while the engine is idling in park.

I do not want to put you wrong or make you remove the trans again for nothing but if the converter was not located fully into the trans then it can jam like this. What you could try is maybe loosen the bell housing bolts a little so the trans can shift back and see if this is what is jamming the engine and preventing you from turning the flywheel. If this is the case then you need to remove the trans and locate the converter properly.

I am assuming all the parts were the same and you don't have a mismatch.
Old 04-23-2008, 21:33   #5 (permalink)

ya, i gave up. i signed my life away and am leasing a newer truck. still dont want to get rid of it though since i put so much time into it. im thinking of rebuilding it if i move to a bigger place within a month though so if you hear anything in reguards to simmilar problems please e-mail me at Rocky_alajoki_1988@hotmail.com as this will most likely be the last time i actively reasearch whats wrong .. thanks for your time though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline