S5 solenoid and auto mileage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2007, 01:40   #1 (permalink)

S5 solenoid and auto mileage

I have an ef2 fairmont wagon and my auto is playing up .I live inTaree and there is only one auto tranny repairer here.
He wants to charge me $500 to change my S5 solenoid and to give the tranny a full service with a total oil change etc .Is that expensive or is the price okay?
The ford dealer told me not to bother changing the solenoid as i would be wasting my time and I should replace the tranny all together.
The gearbox has done 270000 kms .Is Ford service right .
Any advice would be appreciated
oldbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 03:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: S5 solenoid and auto mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbar
I have an ef2 fairmont wagon and my auto is playing up .I live inTaree and there is only one auto tranny repairer here.
He wants to charge me $500 to change my S5 solenoid and to give the tranny a full service with a total oil change etc .Is that expensive or is the price okay?
The ford dealer told me not to bother changing the solenoid as i would be wasting my time and I should replace the tranny all together.
I have just changed my tranny die to slps and failure to stay in gear acting like no preasure , it was bad solinoids whic h I could have fixed for a few dollars with used bit , BUT once the pan was off some parts were worn and I doubt the box would have gone another 20k , so out it came and a box I had which I rebuilt just for this application went in , a good used box will run about $350 with a months warranty of a wrecker . around 3 houras to swap ( the starter is a bugga) and if you remove the pan and do filters and bands then you have a known quantity with another box to rebuild your self when time and money permits..
personally 500 sounds a bit much
ring some wreckers and you decide.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:33   #3 (permalink)

500 is about right for a s5 and service,,the s5 is about 380 alone,,
Old 01-16-2007, 07:05   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtyfalcon
500 is about right for a s5 and service,,the s5 is about 380 alone,,
Your paying way to much , that 500 will almost get the s5 and a rebuild kit from these people Internal Upgrades Specific to AOD Transmissions - Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC
Old 02-13-2007, 19:19   #5 (permalink)
NOS + Boost = Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbar
Ir you still haven't got it sorted, give steve fisher autos in port macquarie a call. They do really good work and wont tell you a heap of crap just to get money out of you. He did a lot of work on the auto on my twin turbo 300zx when i had auto troubles.

Cheers
Adam.
(I'll work it out one day)
Hilux Diff - 4.1 Detroit Locker
BlownV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 22:47   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Ir you still haven't got it sorted, give steve fisher autos in port macquarie a call. They do really good work and wont tell you a heap of crap just to get money out of you. He did a lot of work on the auto on my twin turbo 300zx when i had auto troubles.

Cheers
Adam.
To digress, what did you think of the 300 tt motor ? and what problems with the auto ? , we are thinking of shoving the 300 zxmotor and auto into a toy old English car ( 1949) so will be interested to hear your experiences
Thanks
Old 02-14-2007, 18:35   #7 (permalink)
NOS + Boost = Fun

atec77, where to start.
The VG30 is a very good motor. in std form has lots of go, even in the 300 that weighed in about 1600 Kgs. The car easily ran a flat 14 with the windows down and the targa top off, and a 100+ kgs of stereo. in a little car around the 1000kg mark it would be dangerous / fun. hehehe
As they are a very wide motor, they were difficult to work on in the 300 engine bay. i takes either motor removal of suspension removal to get to the drivers side turbo to add boost control system. Easy done though before motor gets installed into donor car. On about 12 - 14 PSI, they really get up and go, and no other mods needed to achieve this.
Would definatley recommend swapping to map sensor from MAF. The VG30 has the best flowing std MAF sensor around, but the vaines in it are prone to getting corrosion on them, and then constantly send the computer in to safety mode. thats about 4psi and much retarded timing. A dog to drive.

As for the auto. Mine went thru 3 autos before i sold it. they used the jatco box, similar to the VL RB30 box. not the strongest thing in the world, and with a heavy car, and lots of drag racing, they died very quick.
You can get adapters to bolt th400/700 up to them, this would be a much more robust coombo, and last a lot longer. If you dont want to do a lot of highway driving, and want to do a lot of racing, you can also get a c4 kit for them.

In general, they are very good and i wouldn't hesitate in using one for a project car, just make sure you measure twice and cut once, as they are a very large motor.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Blown.
(I'll work it out one day)
Hilux Diff - 4.1 Detroit Locker
BlownV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline