Shift points in manual e-series - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2003, 18:47   #1 (permalink)
XEBAU

Shift points in manual e-series

Hey guys, I was wondering what shift points everyone uses.

I try to push it to about 4750rpm, which will give me about 100kmh in 2nd gear. Should I push it all the way to redline?

I just beat a late model 200sx at the light in upwey! then backed off due to 60km/h zone and lack of licence points.

Ford power!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2003, 18:56   #2 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

My racing shifts are at about 5000-5200rpm, and during a burnout, i'll let her hit the rev limiter occasionally.

Your shift points will depend on what kind of mods you have done to the engine. A standard EA will be good till about 4800rpm and die out fast after that.

ciao
Old 02-17-2003, 01:04   #3 (permalink)
EFXR62

my xr6 is an auto, and i can get all the way to redline pretty easily.. I find it shifts from first to second at around 5000rpm.. I was overtaking the other day, and i wasn't exactly in the best mood, and i found myself travelling at 80km/hr behind some doofus in a 100km/hr zone, so i floored it and the car kicked back from 4th to 2nd, and i found myself redlining in second at 140km/hr.. Wasn't too shabby although, i can't see the auto lasting much longer :(
Old 02-17-2003, 02:03   #4 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

The EA makes most of its power at 4,250rpm so revving a standard engine passed that point is relatively pointless. But as stated, it depends on your mods etc

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 17:30   #5 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

Why can't you see the auto lasting? When you do stuff like flooring it, the engine is the thing that suffers the most I would have thought. As long as theres good tranny fluid in it, the auto should last well.
Old 02-17-2003, 17:50   #6 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

The thread was about manuals anyway :hrm: I tend to shift when it feels right. Some engines like to rev more some dont depending on age condition etc. As a rule I like to shift at the right point to have the engine reving in the sweet spot in the next gear.
Old 02-17-2003, 17:52   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Also reving only to 4250 would put the engine back too far and you would lose a bit of ground.
Old 02-17-2003, 18:26   #8 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Quote:
Originally posted by SiX_iN_a_RoW
The EA makes most of its power at 4,250rpm so revving a standard engine passed that point is relatively pointless. But as stated, it depends on your mods etc

Revving a engine beyond it's power peak isn't so bad as in many cases it keeps the engine at a higher RPM for the next gear.
All those BW gearboxes have quite wide gear spacings, and the engines aren't real torque monsters, so revving to redline will give you quicker acceleration.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 20:28   #9 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

Quote:
Originally posted by EFXR6_Yagz
so i floored it and the car kicked back from 4th to 2nd, and i found myself redlining in second at 140km/hr...
140kph in 2nd.....are you sure its not 3rd or back in fourth...that figure for that gear seems a bit excessive in an auto....or manual for that matter
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 00:16   #10 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

yeah i agree NZ, but revving it to 5000rpm+ is a waste of time IMO...I would think something around 4700rpm would drop you back to around 4200rpm in the next gear

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline