Ford Forums banner

Shift points in manual e-series

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Bass Crazy 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering what shift points everyone uses.

I try to push it to about 4750rpm, which will give me about 100kmh in 2nd gear. Should I push it all the way to redline?

I just beat a late model 200sx at the light in upwey! then backed off due to 60km/h zone and lack of licence points.

Ford power!!

#2 ·
My racing shifts are at about 5000-5200rpm, and during a burnout, i'll let her hit the rev limiter occasionally.

Your shift points will depend on what kind of mods you have done to the engine. A standard EA will be good till about 4800rpm and die out fast after that.

ciao

G
#3 ·
my xr6 is an auto, and i can get all the way to redline pretty easily.. I find it shifts from first to second at around 5000rpm.. I was overtaking the other day, and i wasn't exactly in the best mood, and i found myself travelling at 80km/hr behind some doofus in a 100km/hr zone, so i floored it and the car kicked back from 4th to 2nd, and i found myself redlining in second at 140km/hr.. Wasn't too shabby ;) although, i can't see the auto lasting much longer :(

#5 ·
Why can't you see the auto lasting? When you do stuff like flooring it, the engine is the thing that suffers the most I would have thought. As long as theres good tranny fluid in it, the auto should last well.

#6 ·
The thread was about manuals anyway :hrm: I tend to shift when it feels right. Some engines like to rev more some dont depending on age condition etc. As a rule I like to shift at the right point to have the engine reving in the sweet spot in the next gear.

#8 ·
SiX_iN_a_RoW said:
The EA makes most of its power at 4,250rpm so revving a standard engine passed that point is relatively pointless. But as stated, it depends on your mods etc

Revving a engine beyond it's power peak isn't so bad as in many cases it keeps the engine at a higher RPM for the next gear.
All those BW gearboxes have quite wide gear spacings, and the engines aren't real torque monsters, so revving to redline will give you quicker acceleration.

Rick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.