Ford Forums banner

Shiftkits - S3 and S4

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  rt_10000 
#1 ·
i am contemplating doing the twin resistor shiftkit and just wanna get my facts straight before starting.
This shiftkit involves earthing the S3 and S4 pins on the ECU via 27 Ohm Resistors. Now i just wanna make sure - one half of the resistor connects to the ECU side of the S3 wire, the other to earth (like a bolt or nut or something)?
How are the S3 and S4 wires labeled - are they S3 and S4 or somewhere i read pins 35 and 55 on the ECU?
How did other people connect the resistors? Solder or other means? i was thinking of cheating and using crimp connectors - crimp on the ECU wire and a crimp on each end of the resistor (one ring for an earth) is this possible?

I know this topic has been covered before, but everything i have read hasn't gone into the finer details

Thanks, Russel

#3 ·
I have not done it, but I do alot of other electrical work. And the absolute best way is to solder the connections, the reason is corrosion.
A soldered joint is sealed from moisture & oxygen, so no corrosion can start which will cause problems. A crimped connection will eventually fail.

#5 ·
i have been reading a few threads in I6 forums and these trans forums - all say the S3 and S4 allows for full pressure all the time, and bypass the S5 - it is no longer needed, and the S5 mod cannot make the gearbox use the highest pressue - only 95 percent or something

#6 ·
rt_10000 said:
the S5 mod cannot make the gearbox use the highest pressue - only 95 percent or something
There aren't many occasions where you will need or want full line pressure. I have an adjustable S5 solenoid in mine and it is set about one third between stock and full, and it shifts extremely quickly. The trans place said they didn't really want to adjust it any higher because the driveline shock culd cause damage to uni-joints. Maybe the electronic mod version can't be adjusted as high, not sure.

#8 ·
rt_10000 said:
everything i have read said full pressure is fine - some people seem to think it is better than low pressure. maybe yours shifts harder because your cause has a heap more torque than an inline 6
Yeah quite possible that the V8 makes the shifts harder, there is no way I could run full line pressure, shifts would be way to severe and possibly cause damage.

#9 ·
I have this mod, I did have the S5 shift kit but when the car was turbo it would still slip on gearchanges, the new shiftkit stopped all the slipping and now I can chirp third.

Thiis kit keeps the auto much cooler than without it. If I turn if off I get overheating problems.

Here is the wiring diagram for the S3/S4 kit:

Hope that helps
Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.