shorten gear shifter - how?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2002, 18:08   #1 (permalink)
FORD its a way of Life

shorten gear shifter - how??

Hi I have have a 5 speen man and would like to shorten the gear shifter.
Im sure that some1 out has, and Im just wondering whats the best way to shorten it..
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2002, 21:56   #2 (permalink)

What do you mean, do u want to make the stick smaller or do you want to make the stroke between gears smaller?
To shorten the stick id just get a hacksaw, cut the stick to size and then cut a new thread on the top for the gear knob. Smaller stick means less leverage but it shouldnt matter.
To shorten the stroke im pretty sure you need a new gear box. Alltho I guess shortening the stick would make the stroke smaller aswell.
PHoeNiX_EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 23:11   #3 (permalink)

if you want a short shrow shifter (shorter distance to move when changing gears) there are numerous short throw shifter kits on the market.

They are easy to install, and do make a big difference.

There is a how to guide for this on one of the issues of X-Rated... the TOCNSW magazine.
RGS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 00:41   #4 (permalink)
FORD its a way of Life

Yeah I just wont the stick shorter..

I just got an AutotecniA gear nob and it sits about 1" higher than the stock nob.. plus I wonted it shorted 2 begin with...

so yeah I just get the hacksaw out and cut it, then I've think I got the the thing to make the thread... however the diamiter of the thread would change a lot... I'll have to make sure the nob fits on the new thread b4 I start hacking way at it..
Old 12-06-2002, 03:30   #5 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

just chop it and bash he gear knob on and hold it with tough as nails or superglue. I cut about 7 cms off ans super glued the knob to the shaft. You will prob need a new boot thtough a the angle the shifter is at when in 1st and 3rd oftens leads to it popping out in gear which aint healthy. I got a leather one from auto one for about $20.
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 01:15   #6 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf
i had mine choped 21/2 inches. but i took the 21/2 inches out of the middle and kept the standard thread and bottom part of the shifter and then had a welder these two bits together($20).i had to take of the stock shift boot cos it ended up comprssing the boot to much and making the gearbox pop out of gear like hot eb said. Shortening the shifter improves the shift feel but dosent make the box shift any quicker-to do that you need a short shiter kit. there are a few different ones out there but the b&m one is an excelent one only downside is that it cost 260.00 bucks

they work by lenghtening the part of the shifter which goes into the gearbox and therefore increases the shifter's throw and thus making the shift quicker.
but i would advise not buying a quick shifter if your gearbox is worn out or tied cos short shifters place a larger strain on the sunchros(making them have to slow the internals of the box down faster and then having to mesh the next gear into place-which places an extremely excessive force on the synchros compared to a standard type shifter)

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 01:34   #7 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

I wrote the article in X-Rated... the TOCNSW magazine. It's just a how to fit one that has already been chopped. It also mentions where I got it from.

Contact Barry aka EDxr8EBgt on these forums. I haven't heard from him in a while but I'm sure he is around, I got mine from him.

What you are better off doing is buying one from Ford or a wreckers. If you have, or know anyone with basic mechanical skills all you do is cut about 3" off the shaft. Then with a tap and die, cut a new thread.

I wouldn't recommend that you do it with the one on the gearbox, just in case something goes wrong!

Have a look at the modifications page of my website and you'll see the one I fitted.

It's shortened the throw considerably and gear changes are slightly quicker. It's one of the best things I've done to my car.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:59   #8 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamie XR6
I wrote the article in X-Rated... the TOCNSW magazine. It's just a how to fit one that has already been chopped. It also mentions where I got it from.

Contact Barry aka EDxr8EBgt on these forums. I haven't heard from him in a while but I'm sure he is around, I got mine from him.

What you are better off doing is buying one from Ford or a wreckers. If you have, or know anyone with basic mechanical skills all you do is cut about 3" off the shaft. Then with a tap and die, cut a new thread.

I wouldn't recommend that you do it with the one on the gearbox, just in case something goes wrong!

Have a look at the modifications page of my website and you'll see the one I fitted.

It's shortened the throw considerably and gear changes are slightly quicker. It's one of the best things I've done to my car.
Awesome stuff Jamie. :) How much did the shifter cost? Also, what is the 'SVO shifter' you mention as a future mod? I like the idea of buying a pre-shortened shifter rather than trying to do the mod myself, but it all depends on costs.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 06:03   #9 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Oops, no need to answer about the SVO shifter, I just found the site for it ( http://www.svomotorsport.com/compone...ning_shift.htm ). Sounds awesome, but my whole transmission didn't cost much more than it. :sook:

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 16:13   #10 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_Travis
Awesome stuff Jamie. :) How much did the shifter cost?
The short lever I bought from Barry was $60. Well worth the money, I can not believe how much better the shift was by just taking off 3" the stick.

As I said earlier, just get one from the wreckers and do it yourself, it really is easy.

I'm looking forward to buying the shifter from SVO, I'm hoping to get to Melbourne while I'm on holidays. At the moment though, the new tyres for my rims are the priority as the standard rims don't suit the new wing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline