SIII Petrol Engine transplants, open 2 suggestions. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2003, 23:04   #1 (permalink)
plarsson

SIII Petrol Engine transplants, open 2 suggestions.

G'day all,
I've recently acquired another project to keep me off the streets, in the shape of a Series III 6 cylinder LWB Ragtop. This beasty is sans the old 6 cylinder Rover lump, so the question arises is what to put there.

I know that the common swap is the holden red 6, with the 186 seeming to be the preferred size though most people are fitting the 202 because its more available and the Rego regs allow it.

My dilemma is that I have a reasonable alloyhead crossflow 3.3 that I already own that I could press gang into service, an adapter kit is available (cheaper than the holden kit)so the conversion is do able. The spare parts I have also include a holden 6 with kit but its never been fitted to this vehicle.

Thing is, in all the forums I have been able to scour there hasn't been much in the way of comparison in performance/problems between using the red6/crossflow. So I was hoping that perhaps someone lurking on this forum may have some salient knowledge they'd like to pass on.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2003, 01:43   #2 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

there was a bloke in the act land rover club had a 3.3xflow with a c4 in his s3 lwb i was a real goer lots od torque more than the holden 6 will ever have and as u would know there very reliable if your going to do any towing or lots of hill work the 3.3 is the ducks nuts or even better the 3.3,s big brother even more torque but not as willing to rev hard but still stronger than the holden and will run unleaded no worrys
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 02:59   #3 (permalink)
plarsson

Well I figured that the Xflow 3.3 was the better motor and the one I have has been pretty mighty in the panel van even when towing.

What I'm curious to find out is what problems people may have encountered in fittin one?

I'm happy to learn from other peoples mistakes...
Old 05-15-2003, 17:58   #4 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

well old mate had a few problems because he had to make the mounts himself as there was no kit and also ran a c4 auto not sure how he got the c4 mated to the transfer. if theres a kit to put them in now im sure its as easy as the holden conversion tho from memery fans are a problem with both engines because of lenth but good themos fix that
Old 05-15-2003, 18:17   #5 (permalink)
plarsson

Yes using the Dellows kit which has the bellhousing adapter, engine mounts and spigot (pilot) bearing would be easier than doing it all yourself. The kit uses the Ford flywheel and starter motor and the Landrover clutch. Apparently the LR clutch bolts straight onto the Ford flywheel.

My Landrover is a 6 cylinder one which means that the length of either ford/holden 6's aren't an issue as it would be with a 4 cyl landy.

I'd be putting thermo fans on anyway, saves taking the fanbelt off in fjording river crossings. ( we've had just enough rain on the central coast to make that necessary...)

Yes I'd be interested in how he mated the C4 onto the transfer case but only for curiosity as I'm really inclined to keep the manual. Don't ask me about my AUII auto...that story is for the Ford Forums..
Old 05-15-2003, 18:37   #6 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

i would stick with the manual too there not a bad gearbox hand have been known to handle the torque of the rocer v8 wo worrys un less there abused real bad. the aull auto sounds like an intresting story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline