Slip 'n Slide LSD Action - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2004, 08:23   #1 (permalink)

Slip 'n Slide LSD Action

Was coming back from my mates place tonight, and as it had been raining a little was driving slowly because I knew my rear tyres aren't the best. Anyways just started coming out of a round about(accelerating pretty slow, nothing stupid) and all of a sudden the LSD locks!!!!

The arse-end of the car veered sideways towards the keep left sign, so I had to correct quickly and managed to do a 180 turn on a two-lane wide road! Managed to miss the steel barracade that was on the side of the road by about 50cms from the right front guard.

Was a pretty terrifying experience not having control of my car for those few seconds... sort of like the car is taking me for a drive, and i'm just the passenger on the rollercoaster! Has anyone else had an experience like this where the LSD's "lock" and sending them sideways even with only slight acceleration? Makes me wanna go non-LSD!!!

Time for a new seat of rear tyres though, thats for sure.
fordfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2004, 09:48   #2 (permalink)
Mr Baron Samedi Man

Re: Slip 'n Slide LSD Action

yeah has happened several times in the wet
but my tyres were crap

current car

Chev Camaro Iroc-Z
thehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 16:40   #3 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

On my old set of tyres, which weren't too bad, it happened when I floored it from 0 to about 60, and on the gearchange, massive lockup, went for the gutter, touched, went the other way and ended up spinning 180 degrees and being on the other side of the road.. I think the reason nothing like that has happened again, is that I am DAMN cautious in the wet now, cause you never know when it might happen, and it'd really suck if there were another car in the way...
Old 05-09-2004, 16:47   #4 (permalink)

yeah my car has been known to kick out to the side, generally only if i try though.
i know the limits of my traction so i don't have any hassles.
only time i was caught out was when i was going about 20km/h approaching a roundabout, seen a gap in the traffic and planted, rear end slid out to the left and then i let off the accelorator and it came back in.

certainly not fun in the wet when you're not ready for it.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 18:46   #5 (permalink)
EA-S MPI 5-Speed

see in the rain just plan to go sideways all time n then u dont get no un-expected danger =P
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 19:43   #6 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I'll always maintain that LSD is the safer diff for driving IF you know how its going to react when you lose traction, otherwise single spinner is the go for normal everyday driving.
Old 05-09-2004, 20:01   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Single spinners are unpredictable :S

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 20:35   #8 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Yeah but less likely to slide in the first place. Still remember the first time you lost it, still makes me laugh :D
Old 05-09-2004, 20:46   #9 (permalink)

I have driven both open diff and LSD, and LSD is definately much worse in the wet. With the open diff it will just slip and let you keep going in the direction you point it, the LSD takes the arse end in a random direction on the other hand. My friend in his VK with a 3.45 open diff can take off from standing start with his wheels spinning continously in the wet about 100 meters with no trouble at all, just like as if he was driving normally! If he tried it with my car, I'm sure he would have ended up in a tree somewhere.

But yeah I have had previous experience with LSD slide, but I noticed it too late this time, and if I steered the car in the direction the LSD wants to take me(my usual way of correcting it), I would have ended up in a keep left sign.
fordfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 22:07   #10 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

I've experienced this before around a round about, I was thinking wtf, but after hearing this it makes sense. I was going slower then usual, gently accell out in 2nd (manual) and suddenly rear end snaps sideways for no apparant reason. It was easily corrected, I wasn't expecting it, but my mate in the passenger seat was loving it though lol. Something I'll have to think of when I'm driving in the wet in the future.

Donno

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline