stally - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2005, 01:09   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Melbourne
Age: 28
Posts: 13
stally

hey guys, just bought a 2800 lock up stally for my au xr8, got it tricked up abit and was just wondering what it mite be worth to install?
TUFENF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-28-2005, 06:16   #2 (permalink)
Mean & Green Machine
 
conan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albury/Wodonga
Age: 37
Posts: 70
Re: stally

Had any work done to your engine?Asking because 2800 on a stock donk may not give you any real benefit performance wise....you may even go backwards in terms of performance and fuel economy.
In terms of fit up you'd be looking at probarly around the $300 mark as long as your box is in good nick and hasn't seen too many km's (transmission fluid is gonna hit you the biggest as you should flush your box as well it takes a fair bit of fluid to fill up the new converter and then the box itself).
Another good idea for added insurance is to get yourself a decent sized transmission cooler because your stall is going to generate some extra heat and this is the biggest killer for auto's.
conan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 17:48   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Melbourne
Age: 28
Posts: 13
Re: stally

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan1
Had any work done to your engine?Asking because 2800 on a stock donk may not give you any real benefit performance wise....you may even go backwards in terms of performance and fuel economy.
In terms of fit up you'd be looking at probarly around the $300 mark as long as your box is in good nick and hasn't seen too many km's (transmission fluid is gonna hit you the biggest as you should flush your box as well it takes a fair bit of fluid to fill up the new converter and then the box itself).
Another good idea for added insurance is to get yourself a decent sized transmission cooler because your stall is going to generate some extra heat and this is the biggest killer for auto's.
thanx for the reply mate, yeah went down to a tranny join the other day regarding a tranny cooler, he said it was a must, quoted me around the 500 dollar mark, does this sound about rite?
TUFENF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:18   #4 (permalink)
Mean & Green Machine
 
conan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albury/Wodonga
Age: 37
Posts: 70
Thumbs up Re: stally

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFENF
thanx for the reply mate, yeah went down to a tranny join the other day regarding a tranny cooler, he said it was a must, quoted me around the 500 dollar mark, does this sound about rite?
He's pulling your leg - get yourself a light truck oil cooler (pretty big) and it will do the job nicely , you can still route it through your radiator and keep that fluid nice and cool. I wouldn't pay more than $150 - $200 for one , you should be able to pick one up from anywhere that sells aftermarket go-fast goodie's! Just be sure to mount it free standing and don't be tempted to bolt it to your radiator (90% of kits have long screws that go through the fins to mount it) as you will lose the cooling effectiveness of your radiator as well as end up having to shell out for a new radiator pretty fast. If you don't have any luck finding one just PM me and I'll get you in touch with a few people who will do you a good deal.
Also have you had any work done to your motor????
conan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 23:07   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Melbourne
Age: 28
Posts: 13
Re: stally

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan1
He's pulling your leg - get yourself a light truck oil cooler (pretty big) and it will do the job nicely , you can still route it through your radiator and keep that fluid nice and cool. I wouldn't pay more than $150 - $200 for one , you should be able to pick one up from anywhere that sells aftermarket go-fast goodie's! Just be sure to mount it free standing and don't be tempted to bolt it to your radiator (90% of kits have long screws that go through the fins to mount it) as you will lose the cooling effectiveness of your radiator as well as end up having to shell out for a new radiator pretty fast. If you don't have any luck finding one just PM me and I'll get you in touch with a few people who will do you a good deal.
Also have you had any work done to your motor????
nah not much work has be done to the engine, in the mix of getting a few things together, only reason got it bcos dads best mate own Pro convertors in dandenong... www.proconvertors.com.au so thought i should start wif the stally, next few weeks gettin the heads ported n polished, new cam and chip... as much as the expences can take me... currently have just got pacemaker headers, twin hi flow cats through to twin 2/5 exhuast down to turbo mufflers and twin 3 inch droopys... shift kit and stally...
TUFENF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:45   #6 (permalink)
Mean & Green Machine
 
conan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albury/Wodonga
Age: 37
Posts: 70
Re: stally

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFENF
nah not much work has be done to the engine, in the mix of getting a few things together, only reason got it bcos dads best mate own Pro convertors in dandenong... www.proconvertors.com.au so thought i should start wif the stally, next few weeks gettin the heads ported n polished, new cam and chip... as much as the expences can take me... currently have just got pacemaker headers, twin hi flow cats through to twin 2/5 exhuast down to turbo mufflers and twin 3 inch droopys... shift kit and stally...
If you do look at a cam and lifter change make sure you get something that is going to work with your converter (coming in at 2500-2800). Had any luck with a cooler? Make sure you post some Dyno figures when you get it sorted , sounds like your on the right track to having a nice streeter with a bit of poke .......if your finances can handle it (shouldn't cost stuff all) get your inlet manifold port matched to your heads and the same with your exhaust - something often overlooked but definantly worthwhile in terms of gains all round (HP , TQ , fuel efficiency , tunability , exhaust scavenging).
Good luck with it all and keep us posted
conan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 13:57   #7 (permalink)
New toy in the shed
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 563
Re: stally

I have a 2,500 stall and this is the size cooler i have always run. I have had bigger stall convertors and have always run the same size cooler and have never had a cooling problem, and yes the car sees plenty of street miles.


ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 19:27   #8 (permalink)
Mean & Green Machine
 
conan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albury/Wodonga
Age: 37
Posts: 70
Thumbs up Re: stally

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch7472
I have a 2,500 stall and this is the size cooler i have always run. I have had bigger stall convertors and have always run the same size cooler and have never had a cooling problem, and yes the car sees plenty of street miles.


Mines probarly twice the size , not saying yours isn't big enough because it obviously works as you've had no drama's , the only reason I went for that size was piece of mind but there's no reason why a oil cooler of that size wouldn't be up to the job. Nice clean install ch7472.
That's the kind of setup you need TUFENF - again stand alone and not bolted up to the radiator so it gets plenty of air flow and doesn't stuff your radiator or impede it's need for airflow.
conan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:32.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.