stuck, trying to get the box in - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2004, 17:18   #1 (permalink)
e-mutant extrodinare

stuck, trying to get the box in

Hi guys, I am 90% through a 5 speed conversion in my EF. I am currently trying to get the box into the car. I can get it to sit in but I can't get it to line up quite right. Can anyone please give some advice?

Cheers, Waity.
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2004, 17:27   #2 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

Re: stuck, trying to get the box in

jerk it on by twisting it from side to side and ram it in, or put the yoke in and turn it untill it goes in

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 17:34   #3 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

The clutch may be a bit out of alignment with the spigot, in which case, if you can get a few of the bolts in the bellhousing to hold it in place, (or box if you already have the belhousing on the block) you can get someone to get in the car and push the clutch in to releive the pressure so it can move for the spigot to line up. Be carefull!! if you dont have any of the boilts to hold it in place it will just drop as soon as the clutch is in released.

The other thing you can do is have the box well balanced on a trolley jack and get someone to push the clutch for the same effect as above.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 18:12   #4 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

If you push the clutch pedal without the input shaft in far enough the clutch will fall down into the pressure plate and you'll have to start again. I have never heard of this method but it sounds pretty dumb. Just put the box in gear and twist the output shaft while twisting the box around. Getting gearboxes in is usually just a case of lots of jiggling, twisting, pushing, ramming and swearing.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 18:15   #5 (permalink)

I hope you've got a trolley jack at least to do this job, bench pressing the 'box up will take you all day to line it up properly. I found a decent balance point for the trolley jack on my T5 box at the lowest point of the box (i think that's where it was). Once i had lined the box up by sight, i put the box in 1st gear and turned the output shaft back and forwards while a mate pushed the box and trolley jack untill the input shaft mated up with the spigot bearing and clutch plate splines.
barnesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 18:20   #6 (permalink)

ah, beat me to it Mike.

p.s. good to see you're not a Greg Murphy fan!
Old 12-22-2004, 18:21   #7 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I know it sounds a little crazy, but only if the bolts in the bellhousing arent used, and if its on a trolloey jack, its not going to fall anywhere.

I had this problem a while ago, the clutch plate was just out of alignment and there was no way it was going to move, I managed to get a few blts into the bellhousing but even exerting extreme force onto them wouldnt budge the clutchplate. So the only thing I could do was get the missus to push the clutch in, and bang, in it went.

Think of how much power a clutch has to handle, now do you think you are going to be able to move the clutch in the pressureplate by hand?

Old 12-22-2004, 18:50   #8 (permalink)

If you've already got the spiggot nib on the end of the input shaft (whatever its called) into the clutch plate hole and the input shaft spline hard-up against the clutch plate spline, i guess if its not too far off alignment to start with, it might all mate up when the clutch plate is released without the plate falling into the bellhousing.

Or you could go out and buy one of those plastic aligning tools. Never used one, i spose they work.
Old 12-22-2004, 19:28   #9 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Thats exactly what the problem was when I last changed my clutch. so damn close, yet so damn far.

The splines were all lined up, the gearbox was only about 1/2 inch away from mating with the bellhousing, but the damn spigot wouldnt go in.

Old 12-22-2004, 19:43   #10 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADXF
I know it sounds a little crazy, but only if the bolts in the bellhousing arent used, and if its on a trolloey jack, its not going to fall anywhere.

I had this problem a while ago, the clutch plate was just out of alignment and there was no way it was going to move, I managed to get a few blts into the bellhousing but even exerting extreme force onto them wouldnt budge the clutchplate. So the only thing I could do was get the missus to push the clutch in, and bang, in it went.

Think of how much power a clutch has to handle, now do you think you are going to be able to move the clutch in the pressureplate by hand?

Ah yes, this sounds fine. When you first mentioned this method I had an image in my head of the input shaft not even close to the clutch plate splines, which would indeed cause problems. If I remember correctly the input shaft on T5 boxes has a small journal for the spigot bearing, then tapers up to the spline, so this would work fine. For the record, with the clutch pedal depressed it is entirely possible to move the clutch by hand.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline