Supra Gearbox rear mount - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2004, 03:30   #1 (permalink)

Supra Gearbox rear mount

Has anyone here got a supra box with a clevo? Mine works OK except that I find the rear gearbox mount isnt rigid enough and it allows the engine and box to "bounce" when you go over a dip in the road. I've just had the engne and box out and I swapped the mount as I thought the old one might be buggered as it had oil on it and the rubber was a bit soft around the edges, but it made no difference. It probably wouldnt be so noticeable if I had a cable throttle instead of a linkage but its still annoying. Ideas anyone??
Regards,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2004, 14:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: Supra Gearbox rear mount

Are you using the Toyota mount or the Ford one?
Old 10-10-2004, 17:27   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBT56
Are you using the Toyota mount or the Ford one?
Toyota one which bolts to a CRS crossmember.
regards,
tote
Old 10-10-2004, 19:57   #4 (permalink)

You really need to use a mount adapter to run a single rail mount, the Toyota one is not really stiff enough. Ben.
Old 10-10-2004, 21:31   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBT56
You really need to use a mount adapter to run a single rail mount, the Toyota one is not really stiff enough. Ben.
What do you mean by a mount adaptor?
who makes em?
I was considering modifying one of the spare mounts I have which has a hole between the two plates and a screw thread by bolting in some sort of neoprene washer which would stop it bouncing but still wouldnt stop the flex which is another issue under hard accelleration.
Regards,
Tote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:10   #6 (permalink)

Having the same issue with my TKO. Looks like the gearbox is on a bungy chord over a bumpy road. Not to be a thread hi-jacker, but..........

I have the stock crossmember and mount from the old FMX trans. I assume its the rubber connector block allowing all the movement? Is there a stiff heavy duty one available?

Also need to raise the extension housing a few cm to straighten the driveshaft angle. Is it possible to do this via a bigger spacer on the crossmember?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:12   #7 (permalink)

Had a chat with Castlemaine Rod shop this afternoon and they say they've never had a complaint although they used to get clutch shudder in Toranas because of the soft mounts. It seems that there are a few different Toyota mounts available as I have three and they all have different rubber and mount plates although the bolt holes are all in the same place. Rod suggested that I get a rubber shock mount rubber and insert it in the gap between the two plates on the mount and I was thinking of something similar myself. Maybe people with these newfangled cable operated throttles don't notice the movement of the engine ??
regds,
tote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:54   #8 (permalink)

I've put up a couple of photos of the two spare gearbox mounts on a web site :
www.rathluba.com/ute
There are substantial differences between the mounts, the oily one ( which was on the ute prior to the respray) appears to be bonded at the bottom as well as the sides, the one with the holes on the plates is a genuine Toyota part but does not have the bonding on the bottom which would explain the "bounce " I'm getting as the one on the ute at the moment is similar except it has'nt got the holes drilled and tapped in the mount.
Looks like I'm off to the nearest Toyota wrecker to see what I can find.

regards,
Tote
Old 10-11-2004, 14:24   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Having the same issue with my TKO. Looks like the gearbox is on a bungy chord over a bumpy road. Not to be a thread hi-jacker, but..........

I have the stock crossmember and mount from the old FMX trans. I assume its the rubber connector block allowing all the movement? Is there a stiff heavy duty one available?

Also need to raise the extension housing a few cm to straighten the driveshaft angle. Is it possible to do this via a bigger spacer on the crossmember?
Just get a new factory one. The aftermarket ones are a bit light on. Put spacers between the mount and box if they are required.
Old 10-13-2004, 16:33   #10 (permalink)

Fitted a modified one last night with a cut down nolathane bush bolted between the bottom plates of the mount, works a treat but noise transmission is really bad. Will try for a softer bush and see how that goes.
Regds,
Tote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline